Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Cross Threaded

UCD

Cross Threaded If you haven't already you will probably have the opportunity to cut off a screw or bolt and than try to thread the nut on. Typically the threads get damaged and the nut will cross thread or not go on at all. Filing the end of the thread sometimes works but there is one more trick left in the bag. Before cutting the bolt thread the nut on then cut. When the nut is threaded back off it usually straightens up the damaged threads and you are back in business. Anything free is worth what you pay for it This & $1.00 might get you a small Coffee Maynard aka/UCD

That's a good one, I put a slight twist on it though. If I have the right die I will thread that on then cut the bolt. It does the same thing but I think it leaves a cleaner end on the bolt, especially for fine threads. A bench sander also works well to clean burrs off the end.

Great tips! I don't know why I never thought of that but I sure could have used that idea a few times. I know I'll use it in the future. Thanks for passing that along.

How about if you can not quite reach the hole you want to put a bolt into.Just tape it onto a broom handle and reach right in.If it is a new bolt you usally can spin the nut on tight before the tape breaks.Bob

Hi, Another possibility, We have some split threar chasers, They work like a hinge and when they are together there are about 5 sizes of threads tapped in a row. You just open the hinge and then put it on midway down on the threads, close it and tighten the clamp bolt and screw it off, chasing the threads as you do. If you don't have one, or the right size, there is another way. Select a [prefferably grade 8] nut of the correct size, cut it in half [Dremel tool with cut off disc works well] Put some grease [to prevent galling] on the bolt threads behind the damaged threads. Put the two halves of the nut on the threads below the damaged area. Clamp it together with a vise grips. [not too tight] and unscrew the nut. It will chase the threads. The grease keeps it from galling and reforms them. Good luck, Al Eden