Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Simple Tractor Classifieds? Do they work?

jmarkb

Seems like very few people respond when I email them about an item they list in the classifies ads on this site. Why is this? Are these old ads? How long does an ad run before it is deleted? Does any one have any suggestions on how to get a response to an inquiry? Does any one have good results buying from this site's classified ads? Thanks Mark Balding

I think the adds work great. I have bought three tractors including a great 720. Sold a 620 and a B-10, plus several implements. When I need discontinued parts, it has worked fantastic. Several responses each time. Captive audience that are enthusiasts!

The ads work fine. I have made purchases through the classifieds and one of my friends has done likewise. He bought Karl Brandt's gorgeous 717.

Not sure what you mean, Woody. The ads are exactly where they have been since I implemented the new clubhouse... In fact, it's even easier to get to them with the new dropdown menu... The ads have a built-in link to send the seller a Private Message (PM). The person who posted the ad will be sent an email telling them that they have a PM, and the next time they visit the site they's see a flashing message in the header and hear a voice (if they have audio) telling them they have a message. I haven't figured out how to reach through the wires and grab them by the throat and shake them -- at least not yet, anyway. The ads are also automatically deleted after 90 days, one of the features that made this portal software attractive... The foot-draggin' Clubhouse Custodian...

I used the classifieds to look for a carburetor for my AC720. I put the add in parts wanted and had a response the same day and had the part in my hands 5 days later. I think this is a great site for Simplicity and AC owners.

I've sold a handfull of things on the for sale board but I have sold numerous items to members by just watching the want ads. Seem to make alot of friends along the way too. SmilinSam

I think it depends on how you contact the person. If I'm not mistaken you have the option of turning the Private Message feature on or off. If that person has the PM's off, I don't think you'll get through. I have sent backup messages via regular e-mail when I didn't get a response from the PM.

I have received prompt replies from individuals when I have sent a direct email to them. In one case the tractor was sold, and by the time I got back to the classifieds, it had been removed. (I knew I should have checked the classifieds while on vacation!) Michael

Woody, Unless something really strange is going on with your computer (I don't test on the Opera browser, for example) the Classifieds were there all along. 1. If you're a visitor, or not logged in, the Classifieds show up directly on the top menu, so that visitors can access them. 2. If you're a member and logged in, the Classified options are under the main heading Resources, along with options to jump directly to different categories. Club members have access to other resources (links, articles, registry, chat, etc.) that non-members do not... So, Classifieds are a submenu option, not a main menu option. The location of the Classifieds in the dropdown menu was explained in the 8/22/02 News item at the top, center of the clubhouse home page: http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/portal_content.asp?sectionid=6 Kind of like PMs... they're there and they work, if you use them.... Kent The foot-draggin' Clubhouse Custodian...