Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
hufhouse

Help with attachments

hufhouse
Thanks to the good advice of the folks here, I scoured the "What Fits?" section of the SimpleTractors website and I now know what attachments fit my 7117H by part number. I have a couple of additional questions: 1. On a snowblowers and snowblades, there are hitches (and sometimes installation and/or PTO kits) that are required listed with each blower or blade. Since I am hoping to find something used, should I be looking for a specific combination of blower/blade and hitch or are the hitches relatively inexpensive and available? I don't really know what I'm shopping for, yet. (It seems that the info available in the classifieds here on the website is pretty minimal on most of the ads.) 2. I'm a little bit interested in a lawn revitalizer. However, I need a rear lift for that attachment. I don't have a rear lift now. How difficult and expensive is it to add a rear lift? Thanks, everybody! The leaves will be turning soon, so its time to start thinking about snow removal!

Dutch
Many snowthrowers will work. The hitch is what is different. The OEM snowthrower for the 7117H is powered from the center PTO. You need a single pulley hitch and a 147" belt. Most blades will work. Again, the hitch is what is different. The diagonal brace on the older hitches hit the frame on a 7117H. A rear lift is very easy to install. In addition to a rear lift, to use a revitalizer on a 7117H you will need an idler pulley assembly, and a extra pulley that bolts to the frame so the belt does not hit the hydro filter.

BillC
The following is a list of attachments & accessories. 42" snowblower 1691522 with 1690557 single pulley hitch (for center PTO only) 42" dozer blade 1690085 with 1690497 hitch 46" dozer blade 1690088 with 1690498 hitch 36" tiller - 1690039, with 1685225 rear PTO drive kit (needed for left-handed mount hydro filter) and 1690404 rear lift kit

hufhouse
Thanks! My question is probably a little more basic, though. I made myself a list of blowers and blades that will work with my tractor, along with the hitch and kit requirements. However, on the classifieds here on the site, as well as on ebay, I often see someone advertising a "42 inch Simplicity snow blade" with no hint as to what hardware or hitch is attached. In fact, they usually don't even know the part number of the blade they are selling. I don't think I've ever seen a hitch advertised alone. So, if I want a used blade, do I just buy the blade and if the mounting hardware doesn't work, I go to my Simplicity dealer and buy the hitch? What do you guys normally do?

Dutch
Don’t feel bad………. When I first became involved with Simplicity tractors, I was totally confused about attachments. After much studying of parts manuals for different models, the mystery started to clear up. Inadequate descriptions by sellers is often a problem. Many sellers don’t or can’t provide information. A picture is worth a thousand words. It’s up to the buyer to ask questions. Unless you’re lucky and find the exact complete attachment, you’ll probably have to do more work. For example, a snow blade may fit your 7117H, but the lift rod is missing. You can either try and locate a used lift rod (good luck), or buy a new one (if still available), or make your own. Here’s what I did > http://www.simpletractors.com/do_it/adjustable_lift_rod.htm Part of my fun of owning these tractors is finding attachments, or making something work. A new snowthrower may cost $1500, but may no longer be available. You can find a used snowthrower for a fraction of the cost of new, but the hitch may be incorrect. A new hitch (if available) may cost more than the used snowthrower. So, you either hunt some more, or improvise. Here’s what I did > http://www.simpletractors.com/do_it/snowthrower_hitch.htm Experience is the best teacher. Until you’re confident, deal only with knowledgeable sellers.

Kent
You needn't limit yourself to just 7100-series. You could also use snowblowers or attachments off later Sovereigns (no longer called 7100's) up to 2000 models, or Allis-Chalmers 900 series tractors, though any red/orange paint shades may be slightly different. Many of the later snow blades were black anyway -- I don't know about the blowers. The foot-draggin' Clubhouse Custodian...