Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Leroy

Value pricing

Leroy
I have not owned a patch of grass to mow that was big enough for a rider till bout 4 years ago. bought one at what i thought was a high price for something that was over 20 years old. But i was assured this unit would last and last, it didn't. I wonder how much the originals costed. My 7117 costed me 1200. bucks and was in good shape it mowed perfectly. I found a 9020 that was on a beach in Oregon with a loader and a hoe on it for 4k But it had not ran in 3 years and it looked rusty in a big way. The motor was not bolted down and it had a flat the owner said 4 k and you haul. I am becomming a conasewer of fine mowing machines at the rate of one every 3 years now. Dare i say that most if not all of the tractors are over rated in price and function? I am told the front loaders fit many units. Are they any more than a bigger wheel barrow with a stearing wheel? Can you run into a load of dirt and get a bucket full and pick it up? Or do ya have to shovel it in? I am attempting to install a used motor in my tractor and none of the supplyers here have any idea of what i was holding in my hand . a flexable coupler for used-new engine i needed one for the tranny to this coupler. I have never seen one of those. was the only answer i got. Natually i didnt have all the numbers with me because they are located in so many diffent places stickers have been removed. Im going to get thru this motor replacement. The prices on these machines are very high for the amount of function that i am seeing. I know of a few of the folks here are very happy with their machines and i do like reading about them. I have not found one yet that is all it has been cracked up to be. Still loooking Leroy

MPH
Leroy, I think we all have a notion these garden tractors will do more work then designed for, Look at equipment that is built to move dirt, ie Cat for ex.,A loader on an average farm size tractor is a joke compared too such equip. Now, in my opion it don't take much to beat a shovel and a wheel borrow. 4k for a beach combers 9020 sound like one to walk away from, got to be a rusted special..MPH

Leroy, First, i think you better find a new supplier, look around this site up and down, there are alot of pics and specs right here. Try emailing sandy lake, those boys are very helpfull. My brother spent 6250 dollars on a new honda atv, he can pull things, plow and ride it for pleasure, thats right, six thousand two hundred and fifty dollars. This past summer, i spent, 900 dollars on a 24 year old simplicity, runs perfect, i can pull a trailer, plow snow, blow snow, till a garden, with no struggles, just set the tiller down and away we go, i can run my hay elevator with it, I have almost 2 MILES of trails through woods and fields that i mow with it, this fall ill most likely pull a deer out of the woods with it.(hopefully) Besides, i think my tractor is cool, fun to operate. There are many other things i COULD do with it if i had the proper attachment, you name it....plow, make electricity, chip brush, small sawmill, cultivate, disc. Will my 900 dollar tractor do big farm work?, no. Would i buy a front end loader for my 7016? not if i had lots of BIG work to be done, thats what full size tractors, skid steers, articulating loaders, tracked dozers are for. I spent many years making a living with a shovel in my hand and pushing a wheelbarrow, any machine that can take that away is worth it in my opinion. For about 900 dollars, i couldve bought a brand new shaftsman, i mean craftsman rider. If all i was going to do with it was mow, id have done it. Maybe thats what you should look at, new, reliable, looks good, handles good, easy on gas, quiet.........? The guy with the 9020 is on drugs..... Good luck to ya Doug

Kent
Leroy, I'm not sure exactly where you're headed with your topic, but I'd add my thoughts. These old tractors hold value for two primary reasons, IMO. 1. First, if they're in good condition with a set of attachments, their "usefulness or utility" determines their value. Compare what the new attachments for a new garden tractor cost, and often you can get a used tractor with those same attachments for less than you'd pay for just one or two attachments new -- without considering the cost of the new tractor. I'll use the most common "box store" brand -- Sears -- which often sends buyers off looking at used equipment as an alternative. I'm guessing a new Sears 3000-series garden tractor will cost over $3000 with the mower deck. The snowblower for it will cost around $1250 and the tiller roughly $1000. You could buy a good used Sovereign package with tiller, mower deck and snowblower for $1500 - 2000. So, for less than the cost of the Sears attachments, you could buy a complete package, including tractor, for less money. That doesn't even consider the difference in quality, durability, etc. of the two machines. The used Sovereign, if maintained, will be going long after the Sears has died.... 2. The "rareness or collectibility" of the machine. Some old tractors hold value just because collectors like them. An example is an Allis B-1 -- most B-1s that I've seen at antique tractor shows are owned by people who own old Allis farm tractors. When you consider these factors -- plus geographical location and availability which impacts price, I think that's what you may be encountering. A new QuikWay-sized loader for the today's Legacy-sized machines will cost you $2500 or more just for the attachment. So, don't expect to find a 48" loader on a tractor for less than that... I personally think that most of the PowrMax sized machines ARE pricey, especially for my needs, and most especially with a loader. But go compare them to a new Kubota BX series, the John Deere 400 series, or the Legacy with the same set of attachments, and you're looking at a $12,000 package at the very least. Is it worth it? Will you get that much use of it? That's a personal decision that each of us has to make. The same decision holds true with used. Kent P.S. One of the reasons that I like the old B-series Allis stuff is because the collectibility helps it hold its value, IMO. If I take care of my equipment, having "shopped around" for it when I buy it, it shouldn't depreciate much if any during the time I have it. That's another reason that I buy used, and let someone else pay the depreciation of the first few hundred hours of use.... The foot-draggin' Clubhouse Custodian...

Leroy, what "he" said. Doug

arjr111
What MPH said, Kent said, Doug said, and hey, what box store brand, can give you "great running, cool looking" stuff like this. For less than $300....Art As an after-thought, I do know what your saying. I tried finding a good powermax or equivalent and they were all sky-high, mucho dinero $$$. You could buy a full size tractor for less....Some of these sellers think their "rust buckets" are made out of gold.....Good luck