Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Springfield Kiddie Train

JDSnyder

Several days ago, a member posted a picture of a Springfield tractor. I had never seen one until a tractor show I attended this summer. The owner made a train out of plastic barrels to haul kids around in, a pretty cute idea.

They had one of these at the Burnett tractor show here in Wisconsin. The guy had 12 of them behind his tractor and would drive in circles chasing his own tail. The kids loved it. He had a never ending flow of kids wanting to ride in it all day long. Dan

I got one better, there used to be a small amusment park in Galesburg Ill called "Kiddieland". They used to have a miniture Santa Fe streamline train engine and a dozen miniature passenger cars. Each was about 10 ' long or so and the engine was powered by a small gas engine. The park closed in the mid 70's. I know the people that have the train and all the track. Its piled up in their barn and they won't sell it even though they have had numerous offers. Too bad they won't sell, wouldn't that look cute around my place? Could build a couple of flat cars to haul tractors from one building to another. LoL! Sam

As kids, my siblings and I rode something like that minature train at the Drive-In while waiting for it to get dark enough to start the cartoons..... guess I'm dating myself a little with that one, aren't I?

on the subject of the tractor , i saw one on e-bay just a couple days ago it might still be there. my brother has an identical tractor that says "wizard" on it where this one says "springfield". we're guessing it was sold by western auto. he wants to fix it up although the original engine is gone and was replaced with a 10-horse b&s. pretty neat little tractor, though.