Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
KSever

Wisconsin Engine Quality

KSever
I am looking at a 14 HP Wisconsin engine for the Landlord. Does anybody have any feedback on these? Performance maybe ? and how hard is it going to be to convert this to fit in the Landlord 101? Kris

arjr111
Hi Kris, I have a 12 hp in my Bolens. My personal experience is that it starts right up and runs good and strong. I have heard that these engines should not be left sitting, without starting for long periods. May be prone to internal failure due to dry starts....Good luck Art

Jonjacobson
i recently started my acn wisconsin 6-horse, after it sat on my dad's garage floor since the early eighties. i wont lie and say it started right up, but after cleaning the carb up, and replacing the plug (i've never seen one that big) it started pretty quickly. now it will start on the first pull everytime. don't know what to do with it though, put it back on shelf.

ScottS
I have an AEN Wisconson that was built in 1952 it has a Wico magneto. It had been in this guys barn for 7 years without running. Had to clean the mag out to get it to fire. Put a little gas in give it a shot of either and away it went. The guy that gave it to me had to come start it a few times cause it started so easy. ScottS

MPH
Don't have one yet, but my gut feelings are the ole wisconsons are an equal to the ole cast iron briggs, most likelya few quirks of thier own but hard workin old engines. My only first hand knowledge is the V-4 we had on the hay baler when I was a kid, only run a ozen or so times a year but always started right up, never let us down when needed and sounded really cool. As to putting one in a landlord???chalengles are presented us to overcome???MPH

JohnnyRotten
Wiscosins, with proper maintinance, are dependable hard working engines. They're used alot on constuction projects (ditch witches, gas powered welders, ect.) As far as a Landlord conversion, I have'nt a clue. but anything is possible if you have the time, materials, and energy. John

Hoss
I have a 1254 Bolens that I am trying to rebuild. The parts that I can find are expensive. If you are going to use an older Wisconsin engine I would say not to do it. It won't be original anyway so why not go with something newer?