Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Brent_Baumer

Broken Starter-Generator Bracket

Brent_Baumer
Hi guys. Well, the 2 year old S-G bracket on my 3416H is broken. It is only 2 years old because the last one broke in 3 different spots. I welded the first 2 back but after the 3 break I bought a new one from Jeff Nemes. It broke in a different spot yet. I haven't seen this problem posted by anyone else since this club started almost 4 years ago. Has anyone had this happen to them? Why might I be doing wrong, if anything? I can guarantee the belt is not too tight as I found that out by failing S-G bearings early last year. Any thought? Brent

JeffNemes
Something must be causing it. Is the block surface clean, the bracket spacing pretty tight, the adj arm aligned? Is the generator original? There are other end caps that will change the mounting position. If the OEM belt works OK I would not think this to be the case though. You want the belt just tight enough to not slip when the engine turns over. Perhaps you are over-tightening the hardware without realizing it. Do you see the bolt heads digging into the metal surface? Does the engine seem to vibrate?

WardM
I have had the same problem and I think I've got it fixed. I found a couple of problems. The bolts that mount the s-g were coming loose so I replaced them with new and used nylon locking nut. I also found that when I was tightening the s-g bolts there was a slight gap between the bracket and the s-g bracket. I shimmed that gap and I haven't had any more problems. Mike

Brent_Baumer
Hi Jeff. The unit is not original but belt and bracket alignment is fine. Having had the belt too tight in the past, I learned my lesson with quickly failing bearings and that is not the case. I suppose I could have weaked the bracket a year and a half ago by having the belt too tight then before I realized what I was doing wrong. The breaks have not been at the bolt holes so I don't think I have the bolts over-tightened. I usually don't tighten bolts down too tight having broken off too many and had too many impossible to remove in my youth. I guess I'll weld this one back together and hope for the best. Thanks. Brent

Brent_Baumer
Pat, Here we go: This is a pic of the original bracket with the 2 original breaks repaired: Here is a where the original bracket broke off (missing the piece, I couldn't find it in my junk pile) again and I didn't repair it: Here is my "new" bracket and where it is broken, still on the tractor: Anysuggestions? Thanks, Brent

PatRarick
I have seen them break from stress as you show in the first photo. On the last photo it appears as though the end (flywheel end) of the bracket is pulled as if the starter generator is too long. Since the same end of the original bracket is broken off, it looks even more like this is the case. I will measure my starter-generator for the distance between the mounting holes and post it later this evening for you to compare with. Pat

SmilinSam
I have noticed out of the multitude of junkers I have picked up that quite a few brackets have been broken in a variety of places and repaired. This would indicate to me that your problem is rather widespread apparently. Sam