Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

need help on b-10 pulling tractor

bell108

I have a b-10 i just started to pull. I have a 12 hp moter 23/12.50/12 tires. It seems like 2nd gear is to low and 3rd is to high. The rearend pulley is 6 1/2 inches. Anyone know what size i should go to. I pull in 800 & 900 lb. Thanks Mike

We ran a 61 Wards with a 12 Hp, and then this season went to 14 Hp. Had the same problem. Went to 1/2 inch smaller on the BGB, but wasn't enough on a real biting track. By my calculations you would need probably an 8 inch on the rear, then it would also be good to put one of the adjustable pulleys on the BGB. This should put you right in the ballpark. Keep in mind that all of this is dependent on the soil you are pulling on, the design of the sled you are pulling, the length of your hitch, the location of your seat, the weight and build of the driver, belly weights, front weights, rear weights etc. Been pulling for over 15 years and there is no exact solution to make you win. I've been a champion, and I have also been at the bottom of the list. Enjoy the competition, you'll get there. Rod H.

On my tractor there is quite a bit of motion in the idler before it quits tightening the belt. There is also two holes in the clutch arm in which the idler can be mounted. You will probably have to make a way of adjusting the spring tension. If you run out of motion in the clutch, you will have to change belts. When I said adjustable pulley, I meant one of the type that screws together or apart, then locks with a set screw. It will be a judgment call for the operator as to what ratio he wants to run at each track, and he must make the change before pulling. A friend of mine uses one of these adjustable units on his Sears Suburban, and he has been the 900# stock champion for the past 5-6 years. He even has an adjustment screw on his spring tension. I also know people who carry a variety of pulleys and belts and change them for different tracks and track conditions. The club I have been pulling with puts on 12 to 15 pulls each year in VA, NC, and MD. Every track is different. Rod H.

Hey Rod I too am one of those pulley and belt changing pullers. back and forth with a 5 and 6 inch back pulley depending on the track.. I pull in the 1050#14hp class so 2nd is gear i use most..unless its on sand ...then its high hole and haul A##... but Ive never thought about that adjustable front pulley ..that would be great to be able to fine tune the ground speed like that ..Im going to be thinkin about that all winter now lol...But I do agree with you 110%...theres a lot of variables in gt pulling..and a little Luck dont hurt either Charby.... range apeel

I want to thank you for your help on all this. I'll get me some pulleys and start there. I love to beat a friend of mines cub one time just make him eat his words about A-C . I'm new too this but trying to figger all the little stuff out. Thanks again

Our AC pullers have a 5" drive pulley and we have a 4.5", to 7.0" driven pulleys in 1/2" increments. We pull in 2nd gear. Good Luck! Mike S.