Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Idler lubrication....

Hey fellas, Ive lubed the pto idlers on my sov. a couple times this summer. I am thinking of trying a product K-Mart sells called "superlube" its a teflon based spray. Its good sticky stuff, ive tried it on locks and latches. Is there any reason i couldnt use it on a fast moving idler? what do you guys use? Doug

A friend of mine used to use silicon dry lubricant on his motorcycle chains, instead of oil. He said they laster a lot longer and didn't stretch as much. I have used the dry silicon for years. I know it works well. Never used the teflon lubricant. Rod H.

Doug, There are two types of silicon lubricants. One type leaves a grease coating like you had spread Vaseline on it. The other, the dry type, is what it says, completely dry and non greasy, when the propellant evaporates. It is, however, very slick. They also make a dry teflon lubricant that works the same way. They both make a dry, slick coating that has no sticky grease. Rod H.

Doug, I assume your PTO idlers are the type which are sealed single-row ball bearings. I use a grease gun accessory (looks like a 14-16 gauge hypodermic needle) to lube mine. Actually, I sharpened/reground the original 15 degree or so angle to the end of needle. This way it's easy to catch the I.D. lip of the seal without damaging it and refill the race area with grease. Presently Red Line synthetic CV-2 is my grease of choice. Better auto parts stores carry the needles w/grease zerk fitting. For this to be a successful maintenance operation, the seals and bearing must already be in undamaged/good shape. Just my 2 cents worth, Tom(PK)