Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Adapter for 36" tiller

acjohn

I just bought a 36" tiller for $50. Yes, great shape, tines a bit worn, but hey, you can't pass up a deal like that. Problem is, I have 410S. I need the 1685005 adapter. I can make one but I need some help describing how the 2 pulleys mount. None of the diagrams for the the tractor implements or tiller show it much detail. Does one pulley mount on the 1 point sleeve pivot shaft? If I put an electric clutch on the BGB shaft in place of the pulley, can I just use a shorter belt or does the 700 series tractor have this adapter already? Oh, BTW, I also got a 1 bottom plow, rowcrop cultivator and potatoe hiller for $15 more. Sorry guys, I had to. Seems like someone else is always getting the deals instead of me! Thanks in advance.

I don't know what the tiller drive is supposed to look like for the 400 series, but here's a pic that shows one for the old B-series. It fits on the end of the pivot shaft. It serves two functions: (1) an idler clutch, and (2) significant gear reduction, going from a 3" drive pulley on the BGB to about a 10"pulley on the tiller drive.... http://www.simpletractors.com/images/tiller_ops1/figure_7.jpg The foot-draggin' Clubhouse Custodian...

Kent, Thanks. According to the 400 series parts manual, it consists of 2 idlers, one over the other, that act as a belt tensioner to engage the tiller (no clutch, just pulley on BGB) and it also changes the belt angle to horizontal from rear of tractor to BGB. Just like your pic, I think one idler is supposed to mount on the lift group shaft. Also, I can't find a potato hiller shown as an attachment for any of the tractors. It has no AC part number, but is orange and hangs from the front axle under the tractor like a grader blade. I figured for the price, I can use it as a template for a grader blade hitch if nothing else. John

John, Are you sure that what you are referring to as a potato hiller is not part of the row crop cultivator? [url]http://www.simpletractors.com/attachments/cultivator.htm[/url] Pat

Pat, Good catch. Well, sort of. The hiller looks identical to the front section except for the sweeps. I've never seen any quite like this before. They are about 10" long, flat on the front and curve to a long, somewhat vertical tail on the back. I'll take a pic and post tomorrow. The look original. John

John, Are they the same as what is shown here? [url]http://www.simplicitytechpubs.com/6767PRINT/PDF_files/TP_400_1279_00_AT_S.pdf[/url] Pat

Pat, Could be. That is kind of what they look like. I dbl checked last night and the leading edge of the sweep is vertical and it twists inward toward the row as if to move the soil to cover seeds or something. I'll take a pic tonight and post. Daddycat, Thanks for the pic. The adapter I need should have a front side and a backside idler that are almost the same diameter. I attached the tiller last night and after about 1/2 hour of pondering, I finally figured it out. It looks like the same adapter may be std on the 700 series. The 700 has the clutch to engage the rear PTO. I need the adapter idlers and the handle on the tiller to engage the movable idler to tension the belt and engage the drive. I'll try to make some of the parts during my lunch today. Thanks for all your help.