Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Trying to decide on 38" or 44" Deck

bobaloo

Hi, I'm looking to buy a regent 16HP ...dealer told me one model comes with 38" deck but I can purchase with a 44", but the bagger is much more with the 44" deck as it need the vac/pump on it. Trying to decide to go with the smaller 38" deck or pay the extra $ to get 44" deck. This will be my first riding mower and just moved to Storrs CT area. Have about 1 1/2 to 2 acres of lawn...prior owned had a mower with 42" deck...I just want to see if this will take a lot more time or not that big a deal. Any advice on the purchase is appreciated. other dealers in the area? I went to Gano's in colchester.

I own a 2-acre lot with some landscaping, a rather large house, and very few trees. We have a lot of grass. I recently went from a 42" deck to a 48" deck. I didn't see an appreciable difference in the amount of time it took to cut the lawn. However, I also went from a run-of-the-mill no-name tractor to a Simplicity. That meant that I didn't just go out an mow in circles, but I took my time and made nice stripes. (The last time I mowed, I made these really neat S-curves!) I suppose that I would have probably seen more of a time difference if I just went out and cut the lawn as quickly as possible like I used to. It takes me about 2 to 2-1/2 hours to cut the lawn, which is about how long it used to take with the 42" mower. The ground is not silky-smooth, so I can only go so fast without tearing out my kidneys or something. Anyway, I don't think you would see a HUGE difference in time. However, you are really looking at the minimum size deck that I would consider (with 1-1/2 acres to cut) when you look at the 38" deck. You can calculate the time savings by figuring that the 44" deck will take seven passes to cut what the 38" deck does in eight...about 25 feet. So, for every 25 feet, you are saving one pass with the mower. Taking that a step further, for every 100 feet of width, you are saving about four mower passes with the larger deck. A mower pass includes one turnaround. You also have to take into consideration the amount of maneuverability that you need. If you have a lot of stuff to mow around, the 38" deck will be more maneuverable. If you're mowing a big open area (like I am), then a bigger deck will save more time...especially if it happens to be a long area. It will be interesting to get the opinion of others on this topic. Good luck!

I'd go with the big one on a 16 Hp. I am driving a 48" deck with a 10 Hp. I just went from 42 to 48 and saw a noticable difference. Mine were on same tractor. You gain more than most people think because of the overlap when you mow. The more you overlap your cuts, the more you gain with a larger mower. Rod H.

Make sure that going around obstacles will not be a problem with the wider deck. If the previous owner had a 42", that extra 2" may not make a difference or will on, how much trimming you need to do.

Mike, On my AC 716, which has AC710 wheels and tires, I have a narrow track width. This allows the wide mower to stick out over a ditch while the wheels remain outside the ditch, it will also cut farther under shrubbery. The turning radius is the same, since this is determined by the tractor. Rod H.

Rod, My concern was not the steering radius, but the deck. Take the width of the deck, add the deflector chute and then make sure you can get between all the trees in your yard and around all the other stuff. I have only a few spots on my lawn that I must use the handmower, otherwise I can get between and around everything and I have a 48" deck.

Ive got a 90s series broadmoor, 44 inch deck, I took the chute off it, it sticks out about another foot with it on. Looking at the new 44in deck, it looks just like the one i have. I can tell you from experience that it cuts excellent. The only trouble i have had, was with the deck idler bracket, mine broke. My only complaint with this deck is that the tension spring sets in a hole in the deck itself, i think they couldve put a bracket there instead, seemed hokey to me. then again, 6 years, 4 plus acres to mow, its been a solid contender. However, its a true 44 cut and amazingly quiet, compared to the deck on my sovreign which in comparison sounds like an airplane. One last comment, i took the belt guard and panel off as well, its just a collector for grass to build up and you end up cleaning it out, taking bolts off, putting them back on, just remove them, its much easier. Good luck to ya. Doug

Bob, I think you want to ask yourself IF you will ever want to add a "vac/pump" for collecting leaves. If maybe, can it be added to a 38" deck?

I own 2.5 acres and have mowed it with a 42 in and 48 in. I save one hour with the 48 in deck. I believe that I save that much because of landscaping that forces me to mow 5 seperate areas. Therefore, I have many more turns for each section (I stripe each section). Therefore, if all your grass can be mowed at a single time, you may not save much (as calculated above by hufhouse). Saving one hour per mowing (2 hours a week in the spring) is important to me. P.S. It takes me 3 hours with 48 in, 4 hours with 42 in.

That's quite a lot of grass to bag and you would do better to look into the Broadmoor for longer term use. They are changing the style so you may be able to find a good deal before the new ones arrive, especially the hand controlled model. Also bagging will extend your time due to slower travel speed and unloading, unless you get a cart style with more capacity (and yes more price but it will take less wear and tear on you and tractor each week) Two considerations: Simplicitys broadcast well so you may not need to bag. You can always trade up!