Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
TBOLT

LIFT CABLES FOR A/C 616

TBOLT
I Just bought a sickle mower for my A/C 616, My cables are in perfect cond. but the sickle mower takes a longer cable on the right. I have'nt tried the dealer yet to see if he could order one, I figured one could be made but I wanted to consult with the experts first. Does anyone know the correct length, if it is better to buy one, or can a person still get one. Maybe someone has one lying around?? Any help/suggestions greatly appreciated AS ALWAYS. TONY

HubbardRA
Could you just make an extension from a piece of flat bar? In other words just extend the mount to meet the cable. It could be mounted loosely and allowed to move in all directions. This could remain with the sickle bar when removed. Rod H.

TBOLT
Thanks Rod, I've tried using a small length of cable from the sickle bar and attach it to the cable already on the tractor but it did'nt work. I downloaded the owners manual and the best I can tell by the pics it is one solid cable. The only thing mentioned about the cable was how to hook the 60"mower deck up using the "LONGER"right cable. When I tried using the smaller attached piece of cable It would run out of reach before hitting something and only lift the bar a little.------thanks , TONY

Tony, Showing my ignorance here but, couldnt you use a section of chain? Hey ill admit im a hacker, if i cant fix it with a chainsaw and pole barn nails then its to much for me..... Doug

TBOLT
Nope, it has to run around a pulley(freely). I'm gonna check with the dealer on ordering one, if he can't get one or wants an arm and a leg I'll try making one up. JP gave me the correct length and I think I can make the end that is like the deck lift cable, its something similar to a chain tensioner on the back end of a dirtbike except where the threaded part is, the cable would go(if that makes any sense)As you can tell, I've used a few closehangers and bailing twine. THANKS THOUGH, TONY