Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

B210 question

goatfarmer

Picking up a B210 tonite,along with a B10 and some attachments. The 210 hasn't run in a few years,and I noticed it had a 3 speed trans,along with a variable speed setup.Is this variable speed trouble prone,or something I shouldn't worry about? Never saw one b-4! thanks kenny

I'd love to have one on my 61 Wards tractor. Let me know if you decide you don't want the vari-drive. I have never owned one, but I hear that they work great as long as they are maintained and working freely. Rod H.

The variable speed works great until it gets really worn -- then the "slop" in it makes them difficult to keep the belt adjusted correctly to give maximum speed control and still not grind the gears when shifting. They're much better for mowing than a standard 3-speed, IMO, though they're not as maneuverable because the wheelbase is 4" longer. However, IMO, I don't think the variable speed puts as much power directly to the ground as the standard 3-speed does when it comes to pulling a plow, tilling, dozing, etc. Mine would slip the belt under really heavy loads, whereas the standard 3-speed will pull or push until it spins... just my experiece, and my variable speed was VERY worn. The foot-draggin' Clubhouse Custodian...

If I decide to part it,Rod,I'll let you have first chance on the vari-drive. The 210 is complete,surprisingly little rust on the sheetmetal,engine not locked up,and comes with a mower deck,snow blade, and a snowthrower.But it's sitting on a pallet in the guy's back yard,with 2 flat tires,and hasn't run in years. I thought it was kinda unique,having never seen one.