Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

I know we have discussed this in the past -more fe

john

Now I know we have discussed this in the past. But now that we have more and newer members maybe we can learn even more. Thanks again jackl

Hi FRED how are you now? No your brain is not fading "BUT"-The message you read somehow was posted on the wrong page. If you don't beleive me this time, just look at the time it was posted. Now go to page #4 and look at the message I posted about the single cylinder verse's twin cylinder engines. It was supposed to be posted just under the first message I left just for you. I was just laying in wait to see how long it would take someone to notice what you did. Somehow I just knew you, if anyone could catch this mistake. As it was posted on the 17th of this month. But now are you slipping as it took you 2 whole days to find it out. Just kidding but its the truth so help me god. I just hope that Yahoo has not followed us here so soon. Your very good friend happyjack.

I read the first post and decided to keep my distance. Engineering questions with so many variables make me nervous! So now I read the whole thread and all I'll say is go ask a guy with a Bolens HT-23 or JD 400 how much torque the old Kohler 'big iron' twins (like a K-582) made and how long they last (if kept clean - they tended to get slimy, then hot). They made enough grunt to put an Onan on the trailer in shame. So there's one more variable for the soup. And then there's the older stuff that had Wisconsins in them. While they never got up into the 14-and-up horsepower range for use in a garden tractor (it just wasn't fashionable back in the '50s), they really WILL run forever. I recently saw an old Ditch Witch, not all that different from a big GT, with an 'AHH' on it. A WI single 'bout the size of a fire plug, with enough torque to twist you out of your shoes. Another variable. Whee! This is fun! Or at the other end of the scale, how about a Kubota 'G' series (GT, not a 'Compact') with those cute little torquey, run-forever Diesels? Or my late father's little Honda HT-3813 LAWN tractor with its 12-1/2 horse overhead-cam water-cooled inline twin? Runs like a champ, and smooth and quiet to boot. There's an engine for everything, buddy; no way will you get me to talk about it. OOPS!
Best regards from engines-are-us,
Fred