Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Bevel gear box – axel shaft play and drive pulley

Magnus_Forssell

There is an annoying waggle of the drive pulley on my 7016H. There is no “play” in the axel shaft but there is a fairly large “play” between the axel shaft and the drive pulley that makes it waggle. Should it be a washer “inside” the pulley that makes the play less or is it the pulley that needs to be replaced? I cannot find a description of those parts in the service and repair manual so I need help on this one. Sincerely yours Magnus Forssell of Sweden

Try removing the pulley and looking at the key and keyway. Check the bore of the pulley and the shaft for wear. Replace any worn parts. If the keyway is damaged beyond repair you may get by with having a new keyway machined on the same shaft but 180 degrees out.

Try placing a washer between the housing and the pulley and a shaft collar on the outside of the pulley. Run the setscrew of the shaft collar down into the shaft keyway.