Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Dadsy98

Kohler questions

Dadsy98
I finally found a K241S. I have seen quite a few on Ebay these last few months but, they all go for more than I'm willing to spend. The one I finally bought was off an air compressor. The PTO shaft is larger in diameter than the hole in the cone clutch pulley. Do they make a pulley for the larger shaft? Also, the oil drain plug is on the wrong side when the engine is installed. Can I remove and replace the pan 180 degrees? I plan on using this in a 7010 I bought a few months ago with a blown engine. This will be my first engine swap so I'm open to all suggestions Steve

acjohn
Steve, I rebuilt my K241 using the crank out of a Kohler in a Ford. I believe my pan was symmetrical so it could be used either direction. If you need any help, feel free to ask. Also, the link to Yetmans on this site has a wealth of info on Kohlers. There are different crank and bearing options so if you can find a good crank from a blown engine, you'll be all set. John

Dadsy98
The original engine was ran without oil by the previous owner. The crank shaft will need to be reground and a new rod and cap installed. I don't know if I'm ready to tackle a rebuild on an engine just yet...thinking about it tho ! The oil pan seems pretty easy to do. While I'm in there I'll inspect the interior and try to assess the condition. Got my fingers crossed that i'ts not too bad...

Dadsy98
well, I got the sump off the engine. Inside really lookes good. hardly any sludge in the pan. Yes, it looks like it'll fit either direction. The oil drain plug seems to interfere with the frame hole on the 7010 though. Do I use a reducer and nipple for it or, did the factory have something else in mind? Steve