Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
norush

B-210 Fix or Sell?

norush
I am the second owner of a B-210 with mower and snow thrower. Pretty good condition, even have manuals. All was working fine until a couple weeks ago. While I was mowing my lawn, I heard a loud gear shearing sound. The engine was still running, but the mower and rear wheel drive belts both stopped. I know the problem is in the bevel gears. Parts are available. Probably need about $150-200 worth. Anyone have experience in this kind of repair. Is it worth performing? What is this tractor and attachments worth as is? Any recent prices that you are aware of? Thanks, Russ

CleanBee
Welcome to the club Russ. If it is the BGB, which it sounds like it is, I would look to get a good used one instead of buying parts to repair a broken one. I have seen many of them at shows, on eBay, and in our classifieds. I think Wally Becker has a couple listed in the classified right now. Your tractor and its attachments are worth far more, (in useage and money) than the cost of a used BGB. One thing to keep in mind with this older equipment, if you see any leaks or seapage, this means you either need to reseal the part or keep an eye on the fluid level. Good chance the BGB went bad because it was ran dry. Also, take care in washing, the breather plug is in an indentation on top and water might seep into the unit. Dan

norush
Thanks for the info Dan. First thing I checked was gear oil level. It wasn't even low. After draining and taking the cover off, each gear still seems to be tight on the drive shafts. Lots of metal shavings. Teeth no longer mesh. Gear on the main drive shaft is in the worst shape.

goatfarmer
I'm in the process of buying a B210 this week sometime.Has a snowblower,and mower deck.Overall in decent shape,but hasn't run in a few years,and present owner knows nothing about it. I'm paying $125.00 for it.If it runs and drives OK,which I think it will,I wouldn't ask less than $600.00 or so for it.Sounds like yours is still repairable.That B210 will probably outlast most home center tractors available these days.I'd say repair it. Either way,you'll have to repair it,or sell it for junk price,which is far less than a running ,driving tractor price. kenny L

goatfarmer
I've seen them on EBay.I've seen them on the classifieds at this site. You might also check with a local dealer,to see if they have any old parts tractors that would have one. kenny

Kent
Reminder, the cross-shaft on the variable speed BGB is different than those on a 3-speed. It's threaded on the right end for the variable speed pulley to bolt on... The foot-draggin' Clubhouse Custodian...

stumpy
As Kent mentioned, the boxes are different (or, more correctly, the shaft arrangement)....for instance, the 112 and 110 aren't interchangable, and it's likely a good guess that the 210 and 212 aren't either, 'cause of that good ol' variable speed. Wally has one for a 3012 Simplicity, same as the AC B-112. Won't cut it on the 210. Bob "Stumpy" Hazelbrook

Kent
Stumpy, I gotta jump in and correct one detail... The B-110 was a standard 3-speed. B-112, B-210 and B-212s all had variable speeds. The 3012 bevel gear box would fit a B-210, but not a B-110. The foot-draggin' Clubhouse Custodian...

stumpy
Kent, Whoops...I stand corrected. The variable speed was standard on all of the B-210's? Learn somethin' new everyday I reckon. Hmmmm.....maybe I should get one of those little devils too.... Bob "Stumpy" Hazelbrook

norush
I decided to Fix. Cross Shaft, etc. came out with little problem. Gear on the main drive shaft gave a lot of problems, but I got it loose. Parts are on order from SLI. Might actually get this back together before the grass stops growing this year. Thanks for all your suggestions. Russ

norush
I got my B-210 BGB rebuilt just in time. Mowed the lawn once over the weekend and it snowed today. I ended up replacing both gears, the oil seal and the right side bearing. I also added a couple of shims to reduce the side-to-side play in the driven drive shaft. I am suspecting that that play is what ended up allowing the gears to wear. Thanks to the recent posters concerning BGB maintenance. I'm going to keep a real close eye on this going forward.

Jonjacobson
Kent stated above that the shaft on the variable speed is threaded on the right side, my non-variable speed is also threaded on the right side. This is on a 2012 Landlord, I believe my non-variable B-10 is the same. (not sure).

Kent
I hope I didn't confuse anyone. I knew the variable speed was obviously different, and I knew it was threaded. I didn't remember that the 3-speed BGB was also threaded, though shorter. Kent The foot-draggin' Clubhouse Custodian...