Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Bolens 1050 and Wheel Horse 855

spt1

Hi everyone! The neighbor and I picked up a Bolens 1050 and a wheel horse 855. Both "ran when the where put away". Just pulled them off the trailer. Getting to dark to mess with them now. Seems like the bolens has a trans problem. Can not get the thing into neutral. It is a 3 speed with reverse and Hi Low range selector. Looks like the trans is low of fluid but not sure if that would really have an effect on getting it into neutral. Any ideas on what type of fluid goes in the bolens transaxle? The 855 came with a 36 inch snow blower which is in near mint condition. Anyone know what the blower (and each tractor) may be worth? As always, thanks in advance for everyones info!

What do you mean by the transmission won't go into neutral? The shift lever won't go, or you just can't push it, giving the impression it is not in neutral? If you can shift into neutral with the shift lever, there is most likely nothing wrong. Most larger Bolens will not move. There is a pin in the left (as you are sitting on the tractor) hub, inside the wheel. There is a hair pin holding this pin in place. You have to remove the hair pin, slide the pin out partially, then reinstall the hair pin in order to move this tractor. If the tractor has been sitting, the pin may have froze in the hub. I have had to use a lot of penetrating oil, a hammer, and a pipe wrench to work the pin loose. Pat

The owner's manual for my Bolens G14 (big sister to your 1050) says "EP 90 Gear Lube" for the transmission. The manual for my Bolens 1556 (which is a hydro) says "SAE 90 Gear Lube" for the differential. Also, on my G14 the free wheeling pin is on the inside of the right rear wheel. Same mechanism that Pat described. There are still alot of those 1050s around and running. They've done alot of work for alot of people. If you need more info, there are several Bolens groups and clubs on Yahoo.com. Jay M

Thanks alot guy's... Pat, the troactor did not budge when I pushed it. Did not know that they will no move although in neutral!!! Thanks for the wealth of info. Now I am going to filler up with thr correct fluid (thanks Jay)and give it a spin! Will let you know how we make out