Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Mystery Tractor....anyone know?

Terry9

A friend of mine found a tractor. The guy told him it was a Simplicity. I saw it this AM..........simplicity it is not. A chassis tag says that it was sold by Sears. Anyone have a clue who the manufacturer was? Year made? Thanks for your help, Terry click here: [url="pop_download.asp?mode=Edit&dir=terry9&file=320"][/url]

There used to be 3 manufactures who built tractors for Sears:Roper,Murray,and AMF. The hood looks kinda like a Sears Suburban,which I THINK was a Roper. kenny L

Apparently the photo I included in the above post was too large?? You have to click on the 'floppy disk icon' to see it. Heres a smaller photo and a different angle. Thanks again! [url="pop_download.asp?mode=Edit&dir=terry9&file=321"][/url]

It's a David Bradley. I don't know the history of David Bradley, so I don't know if Sears actually built them or if David Bradley built for Sears. I have the same model tractor as pictured, but with electric start. I recently saw a David Bradley on e-Bay, that was identical except that it was red. It appears as though yours was a Sears Suburban that has been repaired with David Bradley parts. Pat

Terry, It is a David Bradley built Sears Suburban, most likely a 1964 or 65 model 600 Old Sears machines are hard to determine year with 100% accuracy. I notice you have the steering brakes, they were optional and very cool. I have a 1963 Suburban 725, it's very similar but a 7.25 h.p briggs vs. the 6 h.p on this one, mine also is electric start, battery box, etc. otherwise they are the same drivetrain. There appears to be a bracket on the right side with a large round hole in it, I am not sure if that has been added or not. It's hard to make out in the picture. Does it have the three point onthe back? Here is a link to a pic http://www.geocities.com/searstractors/old_suburbans/1964Suburban600.JPG Here is another link to a great site with I.D. info on old Sears tractors (the link is to the I.D. page) http://www.geocities.com/searstractors/Old_suburban.html Rod, It has not been chopped up or refabricated, thats what they looked like. Your roper built Suburban is at least a year or two newer, the Roper ones were from late 60's to just about 1980, I am not sure if they ended in the late 70's or early 80's. They are good solid old tractors, both the David Bradley and the Roper's. I have had both. If anyone knows of an old rounded hood David Bradley Suburban (Gold and Blue) for sale anywere near northern Illinois please let me know. It looks like this http://www.geocities.com/searstractors/old_suburbans/1959suburban.JPG Hope this helps, Rob

Rob, Thanks for the info. There are a lot of similarities between this one and mine and also a lot of differences. I'm not a real expert on the Sears machines. I do know that mine is a Roper. Rod H.

Does anyone know where Roper fits in here? I see that the Sears Suburban model number begins with 917. 917 crosses over to Roper. Pat