Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Copy-Cat

Les

quote:
Originally posted by simplejim: no if you look the tractor over carefully i dont think they are anything alike. actualy they were around before the simplicity riding tractor they were made by the shaw manufacturing company dating back to the 1940s or 50s bush hog bought them out in the early 60s and changed the name to bush hog . they wre built under the bush hog name from 62 until 72 when production stopped as best i can tell. most of the models were shaft driven with a rear pto shaft. some were pretty good sized with 15 inch rear wheels and look closley at the picture notice the four bolt front wheels i have a model ve-4-6 bush hog. for more on bush hog tractors go to:www.bushhogtractors.com jim simplejim
simplejim

Very interesting site. I was not aware of the Shaw-Bush Hog connection(plus I have never seen a Bush-Hog except in pictures). Two brothers and a brother-in- law were sales reps for Shaw back in the 1940s. One of the them founded Wheel Horse in South Bend Indiana, another founded Garden-All in Mishawaka Indiana, and the third started Speedex in Ohio. Speedex is still in business making tractors(I have never seen a Speedex either). I wonder, was there a connection between Shaw and the Ottawa tractor, made in Ottawa, Kansas?

Spotted an orange tractor on a trailer my last trip to Fairbanks at 65mph so had to lock up the brakes and check it out. Turned out to be an Economy [Super King, the owner thought} . His dad as a 12 hp version. Kinda crude looking compared to a 67 Simplicty but I was impressed with the ruggness of it, made to do work for sure. Dual 3 speed trannies. No chance on parting with it. Didn't have my camera with so couldn't get a pic..MPH