Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Jonjacobson

tiller belt length

Jonjacobson
i have a minor dilemma with my tiller, which i recently purchased. i found information in this forum that indicates a 56 inch belt from bgb to tiller drive, and a 42 inch belt from there to tiller. my problem is the 42 inch belt provided with tiller is too short. (by a couple inches). i always have trouble estimating belt lengths and have a few extras to prove it. my tractor is a late b-10, and my tiller is allis chalmers 32 inch but i don't know which model. appears to be same vintage or possibly older. mounting it has not required any modifications. has anyone out there perhaps used an older tiller on a b-10 and run into this problem? can anyone tell me how to figure out what tiller i have? (no i.d. tag as far as i can tell). does any one have a formula for figuring belt lengths? thanks, Jon

UCD
Jon The book says B-10 all models MFG# 990174 Tiller Drive Belt# 154273 Length 42.3" Type HL 1" x 1/2" Trans Drive Belt# 152017 Length 44.9" Type HB 21/32 x 7/16 Drive Belt# 105122 Length 55.9" Type HB 21/32 x 7/16 Anything free is worth what you pay for it This & $1.00 might get you a small Coffee Maynard aka/UCD

thedaddycat
If you have use of a truck, take it to a local small shop. Art(my local guy) will let me take a belt home and bring it back if it's the wrong size and I keep it clean. If you can get the machine there, they most likely will help find the right belt by trying a few. They get the sale and you get the right belt, probably be back because of superior service, too.

PatRarick
If the 42" belt doesn't fit, I would assume that either the small pulley on the clutch, or the drive pulley on the tiller has been changed at one time. The smaller pulley on the clutch should have a 5 1/2" diameter. Will measure the tiller drive pulley and post that later today. Another thing that I have noticed on mine, is that there are two holes in the lift shaft, allowing you to "roll" the tiller toward or away from the tractor, depending on which hole you use. Don't know if this is original or not. Appears to be as both holes are undercut, making it look original. On the other hand, the lift shafts I see in parts manuals show only one hole. Anyway, to my knowledge, there are only three 32" tillers, with minor differences. All three call for the 42.3" belt. Pat

Jonjacobson
i took the tractor to the farm and home and bought a 46 inch belt. tried it, went back in and exchanged it for a 45 inch. works beautifully, i pinned the lift in the innermost hole to bring the tiller as close as possible to the tractor. whatever book you have, UCD it hits the nail on the head. not sure why i recieved a 42 inch belt with tiller but it will work to drive the tranny as a spare. thanks for all the help, Jon