Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Ag/Bar tread tire question

mowerman1193

I am in the market for new rear tires.I was hoping to buy the Ag/Bar lug tires but I am having problems with the size I wanted(23x9.50x12).So far the few places I checked with say that size is not avalible as far as they know in the ag style tread.Anyone know of a source for that size in the ag tread style? Thanks, mowerman1193

8.50's were the norm on the older tractors and 10.50's came about with the introduction of the Soveriegn I think. You can usually find 10'50 bars on the shelf at most larger well stocked farm stores. TSC usually has them. I always have had to special order the 8.50 bar types. Sam

Good Evening mowerman. I agree with Kent, the only tires I have seen are in those sizes he mentioned. You might want to check with M. E. Miller Tire Co. in Wauseon Oh. They specialize in NOS, and tires for older equpiment and special applications. They do stock a wide variety of garden tractor tires. Their website is www.millertire.com and the landline is 419-335-7010 ext 4. Good luck! Larry

Mowerman, also try...... [url]http://www.tuckertire.com[/url] Their prices + shipping, are very reasonable and they will send you a quote by email..

Thanks everyone, Well I have checked with all of those tire store's listed and I guess that size is only avalible in turf style tread.I was sure I have seen them in the 9.50's but I must have read them wrong. BTW the tractor(Massey Ferguson MF12) has the 8.50's on it.I was just wanting wider tires.I have been told by another MF12 owner that the 10.50's will rub the inner fender.Thats why I was looking for the 9.50's. Also from my research it looks like Tucker Tire has the best price's I have seen.I can get a pair of the turf tread 9.50's shipped to my door for $73.They have a store on Ebay if anyone is interested.I ordered the front (16x6.50x8) on monday.If all goes well I will order the rears next week. Thanks again, mowerman1193

I am using 23x10.50x12 on my 61 Wards. They are available at nearly all larger tire shops, and at Agri Supply and Tractor Supply. They will probably also be the best bargain because they are used on ditchwitch and many other small commercial machines. Volume sales lowers price. Usually $75 or less. You may need wheels with more offset to use them. I have been widening my own wheels. If you add width, on the outside only, to the existing wheel, then the tires will fit. I cut my wheels using a recipricating saw, get a local machine shop to bend a plate into a tube and weld this in the center between the two existing parts. You could also get a set of wheels from a Sovereign that came with size. They should fit directly. Nearly all five lug, twelve inch wheels, regardless of make will fit. Only ones that I think have a different lug pattern are those from a CoPar Panzer tractor. By the way, If yours had 9.50 tires originally, there is a very good chance that the 10.50 tires will fit your existing wheels and not rub. Check your existing clearance. If you have 1 inch all the way around, they should fit, because they will only stick out 1/2 inch more on each side. Rod H.

Did a search on tirenet, and got the following response: Hi Pat 23/950-12'a only come in Lawn and Garden Tread designs These won't work for moving snow. You need a R1 Lug Tread. These look like mini rear farm tires. The problem is no one makes one in a 23/950-12 You gotta go with a 23/850-12 They are one inch thinner. We sell the DStone Towmaster Power Master A 23/850-12 4 ply sells for $51.99 delivered. Let us know what you think If you have any questions or would like to place an order call us toll free at 1-888-261-9566 Look forward to hearing from you! John at TireNET 1-888-261-9566 toll free order line Hours Monday Thru Friday 8 am to 7 pm Eastern Saturday 8 am to 3 pm Eastern http://www.tirenet.com Pat

i just installed a pair of 8.50's on my b-10, purchased from tucker tires on ebay. these are the bar/ag tires you are wanting. they look great, work great and they shipped in 2 days! $90 shipping and tubes included. Jon

Here's what the 23 x 8.50 x 12 Chen Shin tires look like that Tucker sells. I'm VERY pleased with mine also. The foot-draggin' Clubhouse Custodian...

Thanks Kent for posting a photo of your tractor.I have made up my mind to buy the tire's from Tucker Tire.I talked with them on the phone yesterday and decided I would get buy from them.Just can't beat their prices anywhere.I ordered the front tire's last monday from them.I have'nt recieved them yet but I sent them the money in snailmail so it will probably be the mid week before I get them.This monday I will send them the money for the Ag tires.I am getting exited to get this tractor put back together,been under restoration for 2 years.Don't think I will do another tractor as rough of shape as this was when I got it,should of been a parts machine. BTW Kent, your tractor looks very nice! What model is that one?It looks like the B1 that might be my next project.I found the B1 for $200.Looks pretty straight and is supposed to run good,not sure if there is any implements with it yet.I have never paid that much for a tractor so anyone think its a ok deal or not?Most of my tractors are one's that was free or they see tractor heaven, and of coarse I haul them home LOL. Thanks for all your help, mowerman1193 P.S. Below is the photo of the project that I took yesterday. [url="pop_download.asp?mode=Edit&dir=mowerman1193&file=331"][/url]

Gretsch, the ag tires are for steering in snow and loose dirt. I don't mow with this one, only till, plow snow, etc. mowerman1193, that's a nice looking Massey! My tractor is a 1965 or 66 Big Ten. My story about building it is here: http://simpletractors.com/do_it/2_into_1.htm There's more pictures of it here: http://www.simpletractors.com/gallery/big_ten_deluxe.htm and here: http://www.simpletractors.com/operation/johnny_box.htm The foot-draggin' Clubhouse Custodian...

Here's what they look like on orange & white. These are also the Cheng Shins from Tucker Tire. Yes, the fronts are on backwards in this pic.

If this was a 4X4 they would be on right. Reversed they will give better traction when I plow snow or am in loose dirt. The rear tires had rotation arrows so I figured them out no problem.... lol.

Kent 7 daddycat: Did either of you consider tri-rib tires like the large tractors use. These appear to be designed specifically for steering traction. I know they are available for both 6" and 8" wheels. They are, however, more expensive than the lug tires that you are using on the front of your machines. They also look much better on the front wheels than an AG tire. Rod H.

First I have to come clean about the front tires. I had them mounted correctly at first, IF you have the valve stems outboard. When mounting front wheel weights this isn't possible since the weight would cover the stem. In my haste to get a "cool new toy" set up, I just pulled the front wheels and flipped them so the valve stems were now inboard. I just haven't gone back to fix it yet.... Remember... switch them side to side next time........ lol Rod, appearance is subjective at best. How about 6X12's on the front and 26X12-12 rears? I saw a set of tires on a Sears snowblower that I thought would work and look great on a tractor. Nothing like any other tread I've seen lately.

I considered tri-ribs, but the only source I had found at the time was VERY expensive... so, I tried these and have been very pleased. They're 4-ply Armstrongs, that are 6-ply rated, unless I'm mistaken. With their "biting traction" combined with the maneuverability of the 4" shorter wheelbase the Big Ten drives like a sports car in comparison to my B-210... I AM planning on putting tri-ribs on whichever tractor ends up with my loader on it, though. I'm afraid the ags would be too hard to steer with the weight of a loader and a full bucket... The foot-draggin' Clubhouse Custodian...

Kent, as you probably remember, I am also planning a loader. I am planning the wider 6.50x8 tires like came on the AC716. I plan to use the multi-rib turf type. This is principally because of the load. I am also planning power steering. I am using a power rack and pinion from a Mustang. Will disconnect one tie rod. and locate unit directly under steering shaft after current steering gear is removed. Drag link will then be welded to other tie rod. Hook up pump and will be in business. I plan to use a separate pump for steering instead of coming off the loader pump. It is hard to prioritize the hydraulic flow from a single pump on this type of set-up. Rod H.

I'm gonna throw apicture of my 61' Jacobsen Chief on here to show the tri-ribs installed. These are also from Tucker tire. I just put a set of these on my B-10 and it did improve steering and front traction. This Jake has no chores as it's the one that got me started collecting/restoring.

Johnjacobson, Thats a nice looking tractor!I did'nt know that those type tires was avalible for the lawn/garden tractors.When they was talking about rib tires in the last few post I was thinking of the kind that you see on the little yard trailers and those vaccum carts.I was thinking that those would'nt get very good traction.Probably can't get those in the 16x6.50x8 though can you? I might have to look into what they cost and size's avalible.Think I would like those on my Massey Ferguson.I can use the turf tires I already bought on my Wheel Horse before I mount them on my MF wheels. Hmmm...Thought I was done tire shopping for this tractor LOL mowerman1193

No, I don't believe I've seen them wider than 4" in an 8" wheel size. I'd check the actual wheel width and if it's not over 5" these 4 X 8's from tucker should work. He includes innertubes making installation on wider rims easy.