Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

What is this?

acjohn

I posted a message a few days ago about my tiller and other implements. I thought this was a potato hiller but I'm not sure. Here are a couple different angles. It looks like it goes with the cultivator, but what are the sweeps?

That is the center section of the row crop cultivator. The units mounted to it are the "hoes", for going along each side of the row when the plants are small. They are mounted on the wrong sides on your unit. The points should be toward the center. There were shanks included with the unit for mounting shovels instead of the hoes, for when the plants are larger. When I got mine, I also thought they were hillers. I tried them as you have them mounted, but they only sliced through the top of the soil and did not push anything toward the center. When installed on the right sides, the vertical area of the hoes work as sheilds to prevent soil from covering the small plants. If you use it, I would suggest polishing them on a wire brush. With the rust, dirt will stick to them and they won't do the job. They will have a tendancy to push the soil, rather than slice through it. Pat

Pat, Thanks for the info. The guy I bought them from only had what you see. I got this, the cultivator and plow for $15. This site is great. I've never met so many good people with so much info. Thanks again. BTW, here is a pic of the others.