Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Les

38" Heavy Duty Tiller Value

Les
Can anyone give me any insight as to what my 38" heavy duty tiller is worth? I know that I said I would never sell it but that was before my Dad died and I inherited his Kubota and PTO tiller. Owning three tillers seems a bit much. You can see pictures of it in action by going to the "gallery" under Allis-Chalmers and opening up the "Tale of Two Tillers" file. These things are so rare that nobody I know has ever seen one sell. Offers are welcome, I already have one, for $500 Thanks

Dutch
Les, I bought a 38” tiller last year for $150 (the owner said it was too heavy to take on and off his tractor). Sold it for $250 to a guy who had an electric lift. Told him he needed different gears, but he didn’t believe that. After he burned out 2 lifts, he traded the 38” back to me for a 36” tiller. Finally traded it to another guy for a Kubota tractor (he was asking $1800 for the Kubota). I sold the Kubota for $900. The Kubota guy doesn’t like the 38” either and wants to trade me for a #370 weed cutter (I guess the weed cutter is worth about $500). So, “What’s it worth”..... $150, $250, $1800, $900, $500………… ?????????

SmilinSam
Talking about people not liking it, I suppose there WAS a reason why Simplicity discontinued it............. Anyone else here actually use these? How do they perform in the dirt? How long were these made anyhow? The first I have seen it offered was in 1977 literature. The last piece of sales literature I have showing it is 1984. My literature collection skips then to 1987 where it is not offered anymore.

SmilinSam
Les, I really don't know what you are reading into my post, but my offer of $500 stands firm. I'm just fishing for information. By design, these tillers look like they would do much better in hard soil than the other type with the hooked times, and thats what my intentions would be with it. It also by design and by the comments people Dutch has talked to would be heavy and cumbersome to work with without hydraulics, not to mention getting it on and off the tractor. No big deal to me, but it could have been a major factor as to why it was not selling enough to the public to justify its continued production. Nothing has turned to "Crap" here save for your apparent attitude. I can't quite see where I made any infringements here......................

CleanBee
That heavy 38" tiller would be real nice. No fear here about the added weight. I use my manual lift with the 36" tiller I have now, so I can pull it down into the ground when I am breaking though new sod or if I am trying to pop a bolder up. They say to use the hydro lift only in its float position while tilling. The extra weight and the fact that the drive is on the outside is a real plus. In my opinion, 500 is a very fair price to pay, for both the seller and the buyer. More than I am willing to pay, but that is only because I would prefer to spend the money on a tiller for my 620. I would say, just complete the sale. Dan

jlasater
I'd trade/sell my 36" tiller on my 716H for a 38" HD any day. I just hate the way the chain drive keep the tiller from cutting in unless I make numerous passes overlapping each other. If anyone hears of a 38" HD for sale in the Oregon area (for a reasonable price), hollar! :-)