Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Dumb Fuel Tank Question

Dutch

Admittedly I'm only a RBT owner (with a non-rusting plastic fuel tank), so I may not understand the FDT mindset, but what's all the concern with rusty and/or leaking FDT fuel tanks? According to Jack's database, new OEM tanks (#157006) are still available for $86.52. Why do you FDT guys put rocks and walnut shells in a rusty old tank, tie it to a wheel, spend $40 on Kreme, and then spend more $$$ on filters to keep rust on of the carb? Don't take me the wrong way, I like to repair and/or save money as much as the next guy. But, if I was looking at spending $40 I'd bite the bullet and spend $86. If I owned a leaky, rusty, old steel fuel, most likely I'd spend my time and money finding a plastic replacement. But then again, if I owned a FDT I'd probably install running boards on it............

Dutch, I can't speak for anyone else, but when I got my first AC about six or seven years ago, I just assumed it was too old to get a new tank. I did just about everything possible to repair and re-use an old tank. Found out that they were still available about six months ago. Knowing what I do now, unless the tank could be repaired easily, I would purchase a new one. Has anyone been to Dutch's house for coffee? I can imagine running boards on the kitchen chairs, living room sofa, even the commode! Pat

Herb, Ah the walnut shells were free, the time it took was about an hour. In my case i was CLEANING not repairing.....ive thought about putting running boards on the little 616, hmm. I agree, eventually some of this stuff is just not worth repair if there is anything left of it......i guess it depends. Doug

Herb, Just when I was beginning to wonder what happened to you because you have been so quiet lately you came through for us. Now, I have some comments regarding your question. Sometimes a replacement part does not look like or exactly match the original item. In this case, depending upon the owners desire to remain original, the decision may be to fix the original without regard to cost. In my less economically fortunate days the choice between $40 and $86 was a no-brainer. I didn't have the extra $46. Some people have more time than money. There is a certain amount of pride in being able to fix/restore something at the least cost. Almost anything can be fixed if enough money is thrown at it. Not sure how the gas tank material relates to RBT's and FDT's except the later models had RB's and plastic tanks but as I recall the plastic tanks have been known to have problems also (leaky rubber plugs for the gas line & cracks). I agree that plastic is better than metal in many applications (gas tanks being one). Welcome back. I love it when you "go fishing" with a leading question. 8o)

Roy

Why not just strap a gas can to the hood and run a hose in it to the carb.LOL Get a 5 gallon one then maybe you wont run out when you are the farthest away from the garage. BTW for $86 you can get a new MTD with RB's....can't you? LOL mowerman1193

Pat, Except for the grandkids’ highchair, no running boards inside the home. But get this……… my wife’s four post bed is 3 FEET high! Sensible people chopped up those antiques 100 years ago. Being a “modern” kind of guy, and usually tired at bedtime, I’ll be damned if I want to climb a ladder so I can sleep. So, I have a temperature controlled water bed just 18” high…… just flop & snooze. ****** Roy, Right you are! The RBT fuel tank grommets can deteriorate. At $1 each I can afford to keep new ones in stock. ****** Kris, “… just admitted it”? I never tried to hide or conceal my preference for RBTs. Just like other products, Simplicity refined and improved their tractors over the years. I don’t drive a model “T” or listen to a crystal set, why would I want a FDT? ****** Marty, I’ve been busy lately, plus this club has not been the same in your absence. ****** Kevin, Don’t know how much a new MTD costs, but doing a paying job using some kind of temporary jug should produce enough $$$$ to buy a new tank.

speaking from experience here, my 3112h has been an ongoing labor of love for a while, last season i had a bear of a time tracking down the cause of a rough idle /stalling condition. Finally it was all traced back to the fuel tank, i tryied creams and all the old wives tales and had to take the carb apart and change filters a few times. I had very poor results trying to clean the tank, and to be honest it wasnt all that badly rusted. I too did not think that i could still get the tank( pre simple tractors) so i got a new briggs tank and did my best to make it work before the snow flew, well the thing worked great the tank cost me 60 bucks but i couldnt use the oem fuel fill and had to remove the hood to fill the tank !!!! But i spent 60 bucks for this tank!!! well after i found simple tractors, i discoverd that surely enough the tank is still out there and available from simplicity. Well to make a longer story short i called jacks orderd the tank new fule gague and viola !!! it fits works like a charm and i can see the fuel level for the first time in years (new gague) i guess what i am trying to say is that i vote in this case for replacing the tanks if u can clean it once and have good results great but dont hammer your head on the wall the oem tanks are out there and they look and fit like new.

Bed 3' off the floor? My Lord! , ya roll out of bed in your sleep and get a concussion....... hope the floor is carpeted with thick padding. Being a primarily RBT man myself ( with a 1 tractor exception) I will add thatthe poly tanks do have their problems too. With age the seams can split and leak. With the standard Simplicity tank this is no big deal, order a new one or grab up a good used one. There's plenty to be had. BUT, with the 71-74 AC built Homelites split tanks are a BIG problem. I have 2 tractors here now and both tanks are split wide open with little hope for good replacements(even the one in my working tractor seeps at the top when completely full. I have yet to find a suitably shaped replacement tank. Another problem with the Simplicity poly tanks on the Soveriegn types 80's and newer is the rubber plug at the bottom of the tank tends to leak in really cold weather. Definatley not a tank for MPH in the Alaska climate . Personnally my favorite tank is the early 70's poly with the molded nipple in the bottom. I gennerally save them back and put them in newer tractors. Gotta go back to work again, need to sweep the cocrete up after getting all my wood splitting done for the season. Glad thats all done!

The gas tank on my father's Landlord 2010 (which I'm still "sorting out" as I mow my lawn w/ it!) has an aluminun tank, which I found very unusual. I soldered the fill neck back onto it (it had been originally soldered, I believe) in about a minute. The inside of the tank is pristine, once I hosed out all the grass clippings. Elsewhere on this sight I ponder why they would use a weight-saving material like aluminum, but then, didn't Simplicity build aviation parts for somebody? I disremember. Anyhow, the aluminum tank seems like a nice touch, in that it doesn't oxidize as badly as steel, but has strength and more "repairability" than plastic, IMHO.

Dutch, You Ole' Devil. I'm not going to discuss the gas tank, it's been well covered. But, I do have your phone number and I'm calling the Mrs. and suggest to her that a high bed like that needs storage drawers built under it for the family quilts. That'll keep you out of trouble for a few days.. Marion Kerr