Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Briggs crank reconditioning

AdamF

I was mowing for about 1 1/2 hrs. on the old 7016H when the rod decided to part ways with the crank. No warning signs, it just let go. Oil level still full. I totally rebuilt this engine 2 years ago(16hp 326431). I haven't torn it down yet to survey the damage yet, but I figuire that the crank, which was turned .020(I think)will need it again. My question is: Is there more than 1 undersize available for the rod, or do I need to replace the crank as well? What are my options? Its a shame this had to happen after the grass began to grow again here in Ohio. Thanks.AdamF

Two sizes, std and -.020. If by chance that you need just a rod I have a new one that I thought I needed but engine was more junk than I thought. A real good price $18 fob Milw

Adam, The sizes on the briggs rods are std. and .020 undersize. If your crank is .020 now other than buying a new or used crank you can take the crank to an auto rebuilder and see if it can be welded back up to std. again. Then you can go back to using a std. rod.Most modern machine shops now have a crank welding machines.Good Luck! dlc

I just got done tearing down my engine. I for the life of me dont know what happened to this thing. The first thing I did was pull the head and pop out the piston with compressed air. the piston was untouched and in good shape with the exception of some moderate scoring on the skirt. The rod was broken about halfway down and had put a ding mark in each side of the cylinder at the bottom. I then unbolted the block from the sump and pulled it. The rest of the rod was in many pieces but the bearing surfaces show no signs of scoring. Neither does the crank. I got really lucky there. But it did destroy the governor, governor lever, camshaft( which I found out one of the lobes was bad anyway), and a tappet. Does anyone have any ideas as to why this happened?Bad rod? Metal fatigue? Its got me.Hopefully all the parts I need are still available. Hey Bob is that rod you have std or .020? If its .020 I'm interested. Thanks. AdamF