Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
alanscott

B-10 help

alanscott
[url="pop_download.asp?mode=Edit&dir=alanscott&file=356"][/url] . Hey, my first post! I found a lot of good info on here, thanks. I just picked this tractor up about 2 weeks ago, it sat for 21 years becuase the engine smoked pretty bad. Turned out to be a cracked piston and now that I have it running, I am trying to get the deck up and going. When I pull this lever up, it engages the center PTO but will not stay engaged unless I hold it up. Is there some part that's missing? All the pics I have found on the Net don't have a close up of this area. I gave $185 for 3 old tractors, this one has the mower deck, tiller, center blade and the chipper/shredder. The shredder sat uncovered all these years and it going to be quite a project to put it back together, the deck and tiller should be good to go. An other is a old Wheel Horse with no attachments but a good set of ag tires and then there is a old walk behind with a blade and plow. Both the Wheel Horse and the walk behind's engine turn over and have compression but I haven't tried to start them yet. The ag tires are 2" narrower than what's on the B-10, think they will still fit the rims? thanks for any help Alan PS only took 2 edits to get the pic to show :)

MPH
Alan, welcome to Simple land...Sounds like you made a REAL fine score. Lifting up on the mower clutch lever sounds backward, it should be disengaged forward, pull back to engage, it should 'overcenter' to lock in place. Sounds like you have the clutch pulley inside the belt loop instead of on the outside of the belt. MPH Relooking at the pic it looks to be in the right place, Hmmm, have you tried adjusting the spring tenion on the clutch rod???

cougar
[url][/url]http://www.simplicitytechpubs.com/techpubsearch.php use above link to get manauls, using 990350(Simplicity Landlord). Landlord and B-10 are the same tractor. All 3 manauls have good drawings and adjustment proceedures for the center PTO.

ChrisACB-112
If you adjust the rod too long (the adjustment by the spring - looks like a thumb screw on your tractor) the idler pully will fall below the driven PTO pully. Try lifting up on the idler as you adjust the rod longer. I had the same problem on one of mine.

gregc
Alan, here's another manual that you might want. Allis Chalmers Service Manual for B Series Tractors. Here's the link. http://www.simplicitytechpubs.com/6767PRINT/PDF_files/TP_500_3478_00_LT_A.pdf Hope you find this helpful, Greg

alanscott
Thanks for the info, I adjusted it according to the manual and it works! Now it looks like the transmission needs work. 3rd gear does not engage, it just sits there as if it's still in neutral. I changed the gearbox oil and there was a slight metalic haze in the old oil, no chunks or anthing out of the ordinary. Anyone ever have this problem? Also there is a hard clunk when engaging the clutch in any working gear, 1st, 2nd or reverse. Is this normal or something else that needs looked at? I did find that when the oil level is full, there is a leak in the left axle tube. Looks like the fun continues :) Alan

MPH
Alan. Grsnd jct is pretty dry country, after sitting for 21 years I d guess all your seals are pretty dried out. Never tried any of that seal softting addivtive but its a thought. I've had the tranny torn down on my B-112 cause it locked in gear, found out somebody else been in there and used some dime store keys instead of Simplicity OEMs. Don't be afaird of it, its pretty simple..MPH