Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
ka9bxg

k241 s engine problems

ka9bxg
I am trying to get this allis chalmers going.The problem that I am having is someone tryed to re wire this thing.The coil on it only has 1 spade conector comming out of it.The points and the power is conected to the same place.Is this correct I don't know how this can work.I only have Briggs on my other tractors so I don't know about this thing.Thanks for any help.Bob

Brent_Baumer
Here's a description of putting a kohler style battery ignition on a briggs. Your kohler should be wired this way: [url]http://www.simpletractors.com/do_it/magneto_to_coil.htm[/url] Ground neg. batt to frame. + wire through keyed or kill switch to + on coil. - from coil to points and condenser. High tension lead from coil to plug.

HubbardRA
I am running a Kohler setup on my 10 Hp B/S. Wire from the points goes to negative on the Kohler coil. Switched wire from ignition goes to positive. Condenser bolts to ground and goes to negative with points wire. It is that simple. Rod H.

Dadsy98
Bob, it's as easy as they said. I just finished tonight wiring a kohler from an air compressor to work in my 7010. Don't forget the pto switches and the tranny switch. I had a bad circuit in mine. Aggravating... Steve

ka9bxg
This thing only has one wire on the coil.I was told that all that is nessary is to hook up a swithed negitive to the coil .It is suppose to work just like the briggs.I will check it out soon.No sense to rush into it after all snow might not be here for a couple of weeks.Bob

Dutch
Bob, Sounds like your K241S has the magneto ignition system NOT the battery ignition system. The points & condenser are connected to that single wire coming from the coil. The battery has nothing to do with ignition. It operates exactly like your Briggs engine. Spark is (should) be produced as the flywheel revolves. To stop the engine from running, that single wire from the coil must be "grounded". That is usually done by connecting a switch from "-". There should be a timing sight hole in the blower housing or bearing plate. Timing can be set either dynamic (with a timing light) or static (on the "SP" mark).