Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Purpose of 3pt hitch chains???????

MPH

Watching the sideways pull on my hitch today with the rake at an angle got me wondering,,,are the cross chains on 3pts designed to take some of the load??Always had the thought they were ment to keep the lower arms from flopping around when empty,,, but I've thoughts before that wound up in left field..Thanks for any guidence..MPH

MPH Stabilizer bars (Ford 8N, 9N) and chains (other tractors) keep the lift arms from swaying when no implment is attached, and also align implements that want to pull to one side during use. Keeps everything lined up and does not allow lift arms to scrub inside of tires. John

My Kubota B6100E, built for the USA market, has stabilizers, my B7001 gray market, built for tilling rice paddies in Japan, does not. I dont normally mow with the B7001, but when using my 3 pt mower on a slope, the mower slides down the hill a lot more, probably cuts my effective mowing width from 5 feet to 4 feet. One of my winter projects is to try to find stabilizer bars, or make up stabilizer chains for the B7001. I would really like to be able to mow my steep ditch(when it it dry!) with the B7001, because the lug tires and front wheel drive make that tractor a lot more stable than two wheel drive and fat turf tires.

Hi Marty, I used an old N ford with chains and stay arms. The chains stayed on to keep the arms off the tires if you had implements on or off. I looked at the other pictures you posted of your powermax. (Nice job on the hitch fab) The stay arms attach to the hitch pins on your rake and the other end will slip over a pin under the axle on the frame somewhere. Thats the way the N worked We used them with the brush hog and blade. The stay arms are a fixed length and used on both sides. If I come across a website with pictures I'll link it. This looks like it shows all you could get on one. http://www.speeco.com/3point.html ScottS

Hi, If you will notice the chains on the Fords are anchored below the pivot point of the lift arms, and when an attachment is mounted and raised up the chains are nearly tight. This keeps the attachment from swing side to side. When the attachment is lowered the slack increases and the attachment has more lateral movement. Good Luck, Al Eden

IMO, using any heavy rear implement without stay arms is dangerous. The implement can shift violently from one side to another when you have it picked up, especially if not all the way up, and in the right circumstances could cause a rollover.... They're even useful when towing a trailer or wagon from the 3pt drawbar. Ever tried backing a trailer or wagon without them? We, too, had stay arms on an old 8N and our "newer" MF-35 --- am I dating myself or what? The foot-draggin' Clubhouse Custodian...

The chains also keep sharp implements from swinging over and cutting into your rear tires. I guess that also keeps the lower arm from catching the tires especially if it the farm/ag type.

Thanks for the link Scott, guess I built a Cat 0.something cause I'm 21 inches wide. Took that # off a field cultivator I got with that 16hp gilson, which had no 3pt hitch on it. The picture was very helpful in that showed a blade about the same as my rake so I could study the agnles of the top link A frame and such. Don't recall seeing the stablizer bars on that $5500 720 I looked at sitting out in the snow of the Talketta rain forest, criminal, but I wasn't looking at building one at that time so it could be the difference between looking and studing...Kent, hope your not dating yourself with a MF35, When I left the farm for the service we did't have any 3pt stuff..Thanks for the replies guys, looks like I better figure out some chains, after I figure out why it'll only lift the rake 2-3 inches off the ground. If I take the rake off pivot bolt, thus removing 100 some lbs, it'll raise another 10 inches..somethings tired..MPH