Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Pulley preferences?

stumpy

Greetings all, Acquired the 42 inch snowblower I mentioned in an earlier post with a nifty cultivator thrown in to boot for fifty bucks yesterday....couldn't resist. Now I need to gather pieces for re-modifying the 'blower back to AC-Simplicity spec. Concerning pulleys, idlers, etc., thought I'd pose a question to the "old hands" here. Cast? Die cast? Bolt-on collar/hub type? Which do you prefer? For me, it kind of depends on the application. Of course, when the same basic pulley size can range from $10 to $50 depending on construction type, well, that can play a role in the selection.... On a related topic, I need a pulley for the front PTO shaft (1 inch diameter, 1/4 inch keyway) on my B-112. Think a cheap die-cast would be OK (provided I can find one with a 1 inch bore), or would it tend to develop stress fractures in short order? Also, for the B-boys out there....what diameter is your front PTO pulley? I've done a search on-site and haven't found a figure for it. thanks much, Bob "Stumpy" Hazelbrook

I use a 4.25 inch cast iron one on my B-112 for the snow blower. Size was determined by the bent up tin one that came on it. Seems I saw on here once where it should be a 5 inch pulley. I'll have to watch this post for size as I broke my cast on last spring while grading rock outta the drive, had a rear end with my van, I was watching the grader blade to close..MPH

You are right that is depends on the application. Most fractional HP applications use die cast pulleys. IMHO, I would go with steel or cast for the PTO. Many newer mower decks use either die cast or molded plastic timing pulleys for the spindles. Look at the commercial equipment for landscapers/professionals, and you only see stamped or cast. For a few extra dollars, it will last as long as the tractor including using a puller to get if off a couple of times. John

I use the steel pulleys from simplicity at about $25-$30.I figure if this is what the parts manual calls for I'll use it.

Got a 16 hp off a b-12 once and it came with a busted-up die-cast pulley on it. I asked what happened and he said the snowblower was too much for it and it just broke into pieces after a short while. Guess that means I'd agree with the others; go with the cast iron piece. P.S. - my B-112 came with a cast iron one. Not sure of the size, but I'm pretty sure it's original. If you don't get an answer I'll measure it tonite and let you know.