Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
wibm

hot pto

wibm
The pto on my 3416H runs very hot when it is disengaged. When engaged the clutch and cone are just warm. I have gone through the manual and not found any reference to lubricating anything. I don't understand how a shaft can pass throuth the clutch and not create friction. As it is now, whenever I want to use the tractor for other purposes, I just take the belt off and engage the clutch. Any thoughts and input would be appriciated. Thanks, Wibm

SmilinSam
My guess is either one of two things. Either the bearing inside the pulley is bad, or you don't have the travel set right. There is supposed to be 1/8" to 3/16" of travel of the pulley in and out from the cap when disengaging. Personally I'd bet the bearing is bad though. See if the pulley will wiggle alot side to side when disengaged.

wibm
The travel of the pulley was my first thought, so I adjusted accordingly as you mentioned. I can't detect any wobble in the pulley. Altho I have not dismanteled it yet, my drawing shows a bushing assembly, while later models show a bearing assembly. Am wondering if the bearing would work on my pto?