Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Side Plates done

thedaddycat

Here's an update on the support plate project. This first shot shows how using an existing template helps locate proper placement of the side plate hole to an existing hole in the frame. Drilled double blind(through both side and cross plates without measuring anything), it seemed to work out OK. As my father would put it, "From 50 feet away, you'll hardly be able to tell it's off a little"! Here are the short plates at the front that were bent to account for the offset of the lift mount to the frame. Bolted up to the mount, they were tack welded, removed and welded up solid. It's too late to grind tonight but tomorrow I'll clean up the welds and trial fit it. If it's good I'll clean and prime it.

Kirk, having just built my 3pt, gotta say you have some good touch work in that project. Been several years since I've used one much. Hard to burn clean holes. Its looking good..MPH

Kirk, with the amount of reinforcement that you have just installed, you will never have another BGB broken from chassis loading. I admire you for spending the time to fabricate this upgrade in such a professional manner. Excellent job! Rod H.

I'm getting close to putting things back together. I don't think the center PTO will be a problem. I drilled the holes to match the original plates so the pivot shaft should clear. The linkage is another question. I anticipate having to lengthen the brake and clutch rods outward by 1/4" to acount for the thickness of the side plate. The first two pics show the finished side plates on both sides. I cut out around the idler pulley pivot rather than try to extend it. Linkage clearance will be tight. The third pic shows what it will look like with the seat and RBs in place. Kinda like an armored Caddy, luxury outside but like a tank under the skin.....

Well then, today I bolted it all up tight and tack welded the nuts to the cross plates. Took it all apart and welded the nuts the rest of the way. Cleaned and primed everything. I'll trace all the plates for templates after the primer dries.