Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
schaefer72

onan cckb external alternator questions

schaefer72
Hi i have a couple questions for the engine experts - i have a 4041 simp. tractor with a 20 hp onan cckb-ms 2440h engine 2 cyl. - its been sitting along time and will no longer get spark- after bypassing some switches i got it to turn over but still no spark - changed points and plugs but nothing- attempted to use service manual to figure thing out but couldnt - talked to a guy today who had a ac 620 with similar motor - he stated after having problems he converted to an external alternator (general motors) with a built in voltage regulator mounted and running off the front pto with a home made bracket - he stated doing this you can remove the voltage regulator, and rectifier , and even the stator - he said one wire goes to the ignition switch , one to the battery, and one to the stator - or you can run one to the ign. switch and 2 wires to the battery bypassing stator - he said you have to mount the alternator backwards to make it turn in the correct direction - he stated to wire the field terminal to the ignition switch - he also talked about puting a starter solenoid somewhere in there to prevent overheating of something didnt catch that part - he said it worked great on his tractor and bypassed all the expensive parts fron onan - i looked at the manual and it shows an external alternator for some engines but dosent talk about it at all - would all this work ? what do you guys think ? - has anyone done this and if so exactly how is it all wired ? dose anyone use an external alternator ? if so dose anyone have a manual or sketch of the setup - thanks alot

HubbardRA
I know a guy who did the same on a tractor with an Onan. He used a one wire alternator. The wire connects to the battery through the ignition switch. It wasn't a Simplicity, and he no longer has the tractor, so I can't get any dimensions. Rod H.