Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  

Why No Regent Hood Ventilation

Hi Everyone, My 1996 Regent (and I think Regents up to 2001) does not have a louvered hood. There is some type of baffle on top of the blower housing (both Kohler and Briggs has this), but no vents in the hood other than the grille. Why is this? Wouldn't the louvers just help cool the motor more efficiently? I wonder why Simplicity just recently started using the louvers. I was thinking of replacing the hood with the 2002 louvered version. Does anyone think this is necessary, or would help? Thanks Bob in CT

Roy
Don't know about the un-louvered hoods but I like the concept on the newer tractors. Cleaner, cooler air through the top of the hood to cool the engine has to be better than using the hotter, dirtier under-hood air (especially with the blow-out problems common to some of the newer mowers).

Roy

Al
Hi, The louvres aren't necessary. If you look at your tractor there is a plastic plenum seals against the foam ring on the engine blower housing. All of the cooling air comes above this plenum and any hot air from the output side of the engine is blocked off. The air is drawn from the rear of the hood at the sides of the black cowling and around the battery to help it to live longer. The louveres were added fot style. They were put on the EXPRESS, a stripped down Regent. [Supposed to add style and appeal to the low end buyer.] I would see no reason t o add them to your tractor, unless the appearance is important to you. When the Regent was introduced, the cooling features and how effectively they worked compared to competitors were stressed to dealers as a selling feature. My 2 cents worth, its free, value accordingly. Al Eden

Thanks Roy and AL! AL, I recently sent you an email with a question regarding the foam insert you mention. Hopefully, it goes through to you. I bookmarked your website, and will definitely be ordering from you in the future. The dealer that I am using locally seems to be having a problem receiving Simplicity parts in a timely fashion. Bob in CT