Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
73simplicity

Starters & Voltage Regulators

73simplicity
I have a sovereign that has a bad starter and regulator but I had a broadmoor that had a good starter and regulator. I took both off before I got rid of it. The sovereign has a triple pole regulator and the broadmoor has a double pole regulator but since I'm using the broadmoor starter AND regulator there shouldn't be any problem, right? I've seen the diagram simpletractors.com has for voltage regulators but I still can't figure out where all the wires go. I know where the field wire, the armature wire and the battery wire goes but the other two as illustrated in the picture I have no idea where to attach them. I broke one of the brackets but I think i put enough tape on it to keep it from contacting the frame.

73simplicity
Thanks Tom but I still have one question If they design the regulators so the chassis doesn't make contact to the frame then doesn't the braided wire compromise this design?
quote:
Originally posted by powerking_one: David, I can give you 50% of the answers. The copper braided wire is the ground connection. Typically it bonded to one of the regulator mounting bolts. Tom(PK)

powerking_one
You'll note the rubber mounting strips for the regulator. This is to reduce the vibration interference with the relays inside. Hence, the regulator still needs a ground connection, so it is a very common practice to use high flex braided wire to make it so. My military 12V DC generator has the entire regulator board suspended on tension springs and all wires coming off it are braided with stacks of ceramic spacers covering them for insulation. I'm still checking on that bottom 4th terminal. Patience, Tom(PK)

Al
Hi, Many of the 2 pole regulators had an L or acc terminal on the fromt row and the terminal underneath was the gen or arm terminal and the armature was connected to it. The a or l terminal on the front was unused. If this underneath terminal has G or GEN on it then that is where the armature terminal goes. On almost all of the Broadmores I remember working on the A trem of the starter gen went to the bototm term. I believe it you take the cover off you will find these terminals are connected together. One thing the Broadmore starter it the short frame and will have about 20 to 25 % less torque than the long frame starter that was on the Soveriegn originally. My 2 cents worth and it is free, value accordingly. Al Eden