Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sickle bar works fine!

thedaddycat

I picked up my sickle bar mower last weekend but have been busy working on the support plates. After I had primed them, I got to play with my new toy. It took only a few minutes to get it hooked up and cutting. You have to love these old mechanical marvels!

Kirk, Looks mighty fine. I'm gonna have to get a sickle bar for mowin' the up and down sides of irrigation ditches....finally an attachment I can wholly and realistically justify! <G> Bob "Stumpy" Hazelbrook

Looks like a hard ride on that seat.I sure like your head light wish I had the orinigal for my wonderboy.Keep the engine at close to a idle or you will have parts broke.Bob

From the Manual..... "Set the tractor engine speen to give a ground speed equal to a fast walk when the tractor transmission is in 3rd gear. Mark this point on the throttle control lever quadrant and DO NOT EXCEED THIS SPEED OR SETTING IN ANY GEAR." The seat is removed so my 7 year old can reach the clutch/brake pedal. A while back she announced that this was "Her Tractor"........ I think I'll fix up one of the other 725's with her helping me so she will have one that's truly hers.

Worked on mine about a month this summer. Club member Howard Tews made me a new bar, as mine had broke several times and was beyond repair. Re-rivetted the sections onto the bar, got the right belt and I was off and running. Mowing with it is a blast. A pitman rod end was wore and came separated from the internal ball/swivel assy. It uses three identical such rod ends for all 3 sickle pitman joints connections. Got a new one from Simplicity, about $32. Ouch! Anyone know of anything cheaper. Looks like a manual transmission rod end possibly? Maybe something from a truck transmission or heavy equipment linkage that might work? Thanks Jack

Jack, I do not have one of these. I was just trying a place that I have purchased from before. Some of them have plastic inserts and some are brass. ScottS

I added the chain support bracket to the frame and made up my own transport chain. Instead of mounting another bracket on the frame, I opted to use a 1/4" shackle through the spot shown on the front axle. I had about 10" of extra chain set up this way, but didn't cut it off yet. I'm thinking that if I set up the transport chain with a slip hook on one end and a grab hook on the other, I can also use it for pulling, towing, and dragging stuff. Hey!!! Multi-Tasking!!!!!