Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Anyone else wanna giggle?

alanscott

I got the B-10 running pretty good, yesterday I hooked up the roto-tiller and after finally getting the right belts in the right place, it digs pretty good. Today I went over the mower deck, replaced the idler bearing and welded a crack and then got it hooked up and found belts to fit it. Jeez, what a lousy job it did cutting the grass, I pulled the blades and sharpened/balanced them and it still sucked. I was starting to think that these old machines were over rated when my wife pointed out that the blades were turning the wrong direction. Oops, I had the belt twisted wrong, now it cuts pretty slick. Hopefully the wife will shut up about it in a few days...

Don't be too hard on yourself... I'll bet a large percentage of us has done exactly the same thing at least once... The foot-draggin' Clubhouse Custodian...

I did'nt do it on my mower deck,but I did that with the tranmission drive belt on my Broadmoor.The belt has a twist in it before it goes over the trans. pulley.Well if you twist it the wrong way what used to be forward gears are now reverse.Sure gets your attention when you think your going to go forward when you have it in high gear and let the clutch out.I ran over alot of stuff before I could even react to what had happend.Lucky the children was in the house.Also lucky know one seen me LOL. mowerman1193

I did the same thing on my AC 716 when I finally got my 48 inch mower. It just didn't mow like an AC should, but still was better than a Murray. When i flipped that belt, the mowing quality was exceptional. Rod H.

Hi, Don't any of you to feel too bad. We usually see a couple of tractors a year come in the shop with the blades on upside down. If one reved it up enough maybe it might become a Hopicopter. They would have to get the deck on top to have a helicopter. Nuff said. Al Eden

Well Alan, I wish you a lot of luck, but if your wife is anything like mine, she will remember every little thing you ever did wrong forever! I have had a belt on backwards a time or too also. Luckily my wife never saw it, so please dont tell her!

Al, you wouldn't believe how many tractors I have recieved because the owners put the blades on upside down, got mad at the bad cut and parked them behind the garage for a number of years after buying something else....

We reached an agreement today so she'd hush up about the twisted belt :) A few years ago we were in Vegas in a restaurant with the dark mood lighting, (I always figured it as dingy lighting, but that's just me) and she intended to leave a $10 tip but left a $100 by mistake, once I reminded her of that... Chipper update, this thing is junk. 21 years of leaves, winter, leaves winter etc and I can poke my finger through it in places. I dug down to the cutting head and it's so rusted down that I can't even determine what the blade configuration was. I am thinking about cutting it apart and using it for a template and then build a new one from scratch. It'll be late winter early spring before I'd get to it but would anyone want notes/diminsions/off the shelf parts of what I am going to use? Alan