Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
JCS

Steering box binding

JCS
About every month I got to spray lubricant into the collar the steering wheel shaft turns in. When I bought the tractor the steering was tight and I removed the steering shaft and gears as an assembly and torn it all apart and cleaned it and put antiseize on it now 2 years later it is binding up again. Does anyone else have this problem????

djarvis949
My 712's steering set up when it was new (almost 25 years ago). I pulled the steering unit out and cleaned it up then drilled & tapped the housing by the bevel gear on the steering shaft to install a 90º zerk. Had to cutout bottom of frame slightly access to zerk which points down. A couple of shots of grease 2 or 3 times a year and I haven't had a problem since. Don

Al
Hi, This is a very common problem. Particularly if the unit gets wet down in the steering gear area. You are correct it is the 2 collars binding on the adjustment plate. I have taken them out and cleaned them, then greased the rubbing faces of the collars. This area tends to collect grass and the grass draws moisture, then rusts things. It also causes the 12v terminal at the circuit breakeer to be eaten off by electrolysis. Some day every thing will be dead and you will find the push on terminal at the circuit breaker will be eaten off. Some dielectric grease will insulate the terminals from the grass and stop the problem. I would expect the same would be true with the grass contacting the steering area. The electric current isn't the issue, but the juice from the grass is, just coat the outsice of the plate and the collars and see if it doesn't help. About 005 clearance would also help. My 2 cents worth and its free, value accordingly. Al Eden

JimDk
JCS, A B110 that I bought has a neat solution to your problem.The previous owner made and installed a brass bushing to replace the original rubber. This bushing has a flange that is fastened to the dash and gives the steering a good solid feel and never gets tight on the shaft. I know that is not an option for most of us who don't have a lathe and a piece of 2" round brass to make a bushing but if you could get a local shop to make you one it would solve the problem. Jim