Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Reassembly begins

thedaddycat

I am starting the reassembly of the 3310 with the support plates today. I hope to have it done in time for the Brooklyn event next Saturday, the 12th. Here is what the support plates look like painted prior to starting. The cross plates are Color Place brand(Wal-Mart) orange since they are out of sight and Simplicity spray paint is almost $10 a can. The side plates are black where the original tranny plates go, Simplicity Deep Orange on the rest.

Hello Again, special internet tractor friends...... It's a good idea to run a tap through the nuts welded to the cross plates BEFORE you have to take it back apart to do it. (This learning opportunity has been brought to you by thedaddycat as a public service announcement.....) Remember to buy enough longer bolts to go around or else you'll waste time running back to the store to get what you need so you can keep working. (This learning opportunity has been brought to you by thedaddycat as a public service announcement.....) Remember how that bolt hole lined right up with the edge of the running board? Well, now the RBs need to be relieved for bolt head clearance. I decided to make retention plates for the bolts holding the front and sides of the BGB, lift mount, frame, and tranny. Hopefully bending the tabs up against the bolt heads will work. This was an easier method than drilling lockwire holes in the bolts, and should be sailor-proof to boot.

Sounds like my "planned" plumbing jobs........ the supplier never has the last fitting I need. I "redesign" at the counter.......... and still short the last fitting. Just buy a bunch of stuff and return what's not used. Are you going to offer this is kit form with pre-cut and drilled plates and all hardware?

This is still a developing project, but I plan on a detailed DIY article including printable fabrication templates so anyone can do it. I have no plans on making these for other folks at this time. However, I can be bought..... lol

Well then, another update...... The retention plates are done. With the stainless steel bent over to hold the bolts from turning, I doubt this will be coming loose any time soon. Houston, we have a problem. At full lift, the back end of the electric lift hits the nut and front cross plate. I cut out most of the nut for clearance. Possible fixes include 1) just don't use a front cross plate 2) locate the bolt higher up on the frame 3) make a new lift mount with the brackets indexed over slightly so the lift is closer to centerline I cut out the old pipe on the axle pivot bolt upgrade and made a new one with a grease nipple. Here are the components for the upgraded pivot

Hey Dummy, did you listen to your own public service announcement???? No??? Well then go back to the store for more longer bolts. The stock bolt barely clears the two plates. I used 1.5" bolts because they have a slight shoulder which should provide a tighter fit through the plates. Even though the BGB is only relocated back by 3/16" due to the rear cross plate, the shifter handle had to be moved forward so it would fit the shift gate in the frame. Here teh variable drive pulleys are in place. So far no problem getting things to fit up. I hope the adjustments work as well. It's almost looking like a tractor again....

It's getting there. Here's a look at the rigt side.............. ........and the left. Not a lot to see, is there? One set of weights for a rear wheel. The other set is mounted already on the other side.

Hey daddycat, thanks for the answer again on tires, could you possibly send me a pic and list of parts for that exhaust system???? Doug Freeman "Angel from above"

Sorry have about fifteen things on my mind this morning, machine is looking really nice. Hope to have mine somewhere in that neighberhood someday. Doug Freeman "Angel from above"

The muffler is one I got on e-Bay, parts are standard pipe fittings availabvle from any decent hardware store. Pick your to fit your tractor.