Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  

7016 briggs question.....

Yesterday, just when i needed it most, a certain family member got on my sov with the iron briggs 16 and ground the plastic starter gear off. I thought, no big deal, sent him into town to get a new one, $3.50. But it was one of those days...... At first i couldnt figure out how in the devil to get to that lower starter bolt without raising the motor. I couldnt weasel a socket to it, couldnt get a wrench to fit properly on it.....HOW DO YOU DO IT!???? I ended up turning a wrench perpendicular and using a crecent on the wrench and slowly turning it out that way but i left it in hanging cause i couldnt figure how i would ever thread it back in. Yes i changed the gear but what a circus. What kind of tool should i use? Technique? without having to raise the motor? Did i miss something? Confused to the north

Dutch
Can't answer your question specifically, but sometimes "more" work is "less". How long does it take to unbolt one of those engines and lift it up.... 10 minutes? Last year I had to replace a water pump on a 1991 Mercury Sable (V6 crossways engine). After unbolting the pulleys, I couldn't get them out. Had to unbolt the pump while moving the pulleys out of the way. Wasn't looking forward to the reinstallation. The next morning I unbolted the engine (took 5 minutes) and jacked it up a few inches. The job was a piece of cake after doing that.

Dave, Jeff, Herb, All great and helpfull tips, all correct and timely. thank you very much. Now and then i get so rammy that i become my own worst enemy and do more damage than good. I should have been able to come up with your suggestions but the adrenelin was flowing....like the saying "use brain before muscle".....what can i say but thanks Doug