Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Dutch

Sickle Sheath

Dutch
We (should) all know sickle mowers are dangerous to use, but at least we're sitting on the tractor seat and paying attention. My sickle mower seemed to be the most dangerous when in the shop. I'm NOT paying attention and walk into those sharp rock guards. Was worried about other people in the shop, and my eyes. So I made a simple sheath by cutting a 3/4" section from a 48" length of 1 1/2" PVC pipe. A bungee cord makes for easy on / off.

arjr111
I have the metal one that came with mine, but it's the only part of the whole sicklebar that has any rust on it. I like yours better, and it won't rust.....Now, when are you going to build a pvc front grill for your tractor :)....Art

poolshark
do those front mounted brush cutters work well? can you mow down large blackberry bushes with them? any idea how much i would expect to pay for a good working unit, would like to have one for my big ten, which by the way is a fantastic machine

Dutch
Art, I don't have to make a PVC grill............. the original grill & headlights are in the garage waiting to be reinstalled after the tractor is painted. The tractor will be painted IF I can ever stop using it for a few days (maybe this winter?).