Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

System 3008 Broadmoor problem

pofarm

Hi. I just bought a 1975 System 3008 Broadmoor. I am having a problem shifting it. The gearbox drive pully does not stop when I push down on the clutch/brake pedal. Is there an adjustment for this? I have looked everything over and haven't figured out a thing. If I slow the motor down to an idle I can jamb (grind) the shifter into gear. I know this can't be good for it. Other than this problem, and a missing parking brake assembly, this mower is in excellent shape! It has been a dealer display for the last two years. He closed shop and sold everything at auction. I got it for the outrageous price of 80.00! I mowed with it for the first time today. Does a great job!

Hi and Welcome to the club Greg, Try adjusting the belt stops. There should be 1/16 to 1/8 inch between the belt stop and the belt when the belt is tight (clutch engaged). If you need an operators manual you can download one from Simplicity. http://www.simplicitytechpubs.com/6767PRINT/PDF_files/TP_100_3343_00_BM_S.pdf Hope this helps, Greg

Thanks for the info, Greg. I take it the belt is supposed to be tight when the clutch is out? It isn't. I will have to look into that one, too.

Also make sure your crankshaft pulley is clean and smooth. Rust on the pulley will sometimes grab the belt just enough to keep it turning even when you push the clutch in. Greg