Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
jlasater

Help ID'ing an engine please

jlasater
Well I've started getting serious about getting my old Windolph crawler rolling again. It doesn't have the origional Wisconsin engine on it, in it's place is a pretty old Briggs & Stratton. Unfortunately it appears to be missing any and all ID markings. There was once an ID tag rivited to part of the fan shrouding but it's missing. I've disassembled part of the exterior and wanted to see if any of you gents might be able to help me figure out what model it is. Photo's and info are at http://www.wheatfarm.com/crawler/engine/index.html Thanks for the help! Jeremy

alanscott
Your engine has a lot in common with the 23d type 0129-02 in my b-10. Carb, governer linkage, oil breather, oil fill/drain and the breaker box cover all look the same, also has the same bore/stroke. BTW, 3.00 bore x 3.25 stroke should come out to 23 cubic inches. What I see different is the engines front cover, your is flat while mine is cone shaped and where your fuel tank is mounted, mine has the bottom bracket for the starter/generator. Hope this helps. Alan

jlasater
Actually, ebay is a good idea. I did some searching and found a B&S Model 8 that has very similar stylings to my engine but was a lot smaller. A gent also has a manual/parts book for the 23 series and I emailed him asking if the book has pictures that match my engine. If so, I'll buy the manual. Thanks for all the help! Jeremy

jlasater
Well thanks to the comment by alanscott about engine displacement, looking at my Briggs service book shows a model 23 as the machine I have. Mine has the "Magna-Matic" ignition system with the mag under the flywheel whereas the 23D and 23000 has it outside. I had figured the cylinder volume based on diameter not radius....been out of HS too long, forgot basic math :-) Anyway, I'm just glad to know what model it is now, thanks guys. Jeremy

HubbardRA
The volume of your engine can be figured as: Pi x Radius squared x stroke or Pi x Diameter squared / 4 X stroke either way, you get a 23 cubic inch engine from 3 by 3.25 Rod H.