Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
doogie_ac61358

snowthrower 911

doogie_ac61358
The season approacheth and i have power, I have gas, I could even scratch up the belts? But my snowthrower won't match my tractor!!! An AC 716h and a $10.00 "working" montgomery wards snowthrower just don't tango well together. CAN ANYONE HELP ME OUT WITH THIS ORDEAL........ Doug Freeman "Angel from above"

thedaddycat
Well, I know one member here who can mix and match pretty well. Take a look at his work here........... http://www.simpletractors.com/do_it/snowthrower_hitch.htm

Dutch
Doug, There are 3 things to consider....... the snowthrower, the hitch, and the power source. On a 716H, the OEM snowthrowers (36" & 42") used a 2 pulley hitch and were powered by a manual clutch bolted to the front of the engine. Is your "Montgomery Ward" snowthrower one made by Simplicity? Are there any numbers on it? Do you have a hitch? Do you have a front clutch? You have to provide more info. Pictures would help. Please leave a response indicating you have read replies to your messages. It makes club members feel they are not wasting their time.

doogie_ac61358
Dutch, all I have at this point are the tractor and mid PTO, rear lift, and a radio mounted on the fender. I am just getting started with all of this and will be an ongoing project. My apologies to everyone as I have not replied to anything here just yet, I do thank all of you who are slinging ideas my way, but as with all things my situation in life is always fluid and not sure where I will end up. As for other things I am pretty proficient with mechanics hydraulics and can fabricate pretty well. I am going to try to put a link in here of one pic, need to get at the thing in the daylight for camera to do any good. If it doesn't work it'll be in my gallery under "side view" if you can access it. Here goes: [url="pop_download.asp?mode=Edit&dir=doogie_ac61358&file=409"][/url] John, appreciate the offer, but right at this juncture can't scratch up the dough for it. Will definitley keep you in mind though. As for everyone I really do appreciate all of your input, though I may not be able to help all of you for some time (at least until I get proficient enough to think I know what i'm talking about) I will do what I can. And Les, if you read this drop me a line would ya, would like to chat with you, I am in between blommington and lasalle on the map. Just follow 39 north or south and you will find me. Doug Freeman "Angel from above"

doogie_ac61358
Dutch, The question now is do I start from scratch on this one or do I simply modify the existing rails? Called MTD today and they said that it was probably made by Murray, called them and they didn't have a clue on what it was or where it was made. The model no. on this montgomerey ward unit is GIL 1412A, the serial number is 37X4248?? Any thoughts or a way I can contact Montgomery Ward, I can't seem to find a way here. Need to know the pulley size to put on this bad boy. Will keep you posted on what I can get done. Doug Freeman "Angel from above"

Kent
With that serial number, it was made by Gilson Brothers. They took over the manufacture just after the Simplicity-made ones. There used to be a Yahoo club for Gilsons, but I don't know if it is still there... The foot-draggin' Clubhouse Custodian...

Dutch
Doug, I heard Montgomery Ward went out of business. From the model number, I suspect your snowthrower was made by Gilson, not Simplicity. Montgomery Ward sold Gilson tractors, so there's the link. You could try and sell your snowthrower, and use the proceeds to buy a Simplicity. Or, if you still want to use it on your tractor, get out the tools, measure, cut, bend, and weld. Pulley sizes can be calculated, or done trial & error.