Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  

616 Can finish the cutting the yard.

I have a 616 allis and once the engine gets to a certain temperature it is like the motor becomes under heavly load and wants to shutoff or the carb does not give the right gas or air amounts. I have changed plugs, plug wires, coil, points, and still having problems. If I let it cool off I can go until it gets hot again.

The tractor does have a fuel pump and it was replaced this year. If the tank is not venting correctly do you by a new fuel cap.

HubbardRA
You may also want to check your valve lash. If it is too close, the valves will seat when cold, but when the engine gets hot and everything expands, the valve cannot close. Could also be a leaking head gasket, but not as likely. Also check the fuel filter. Rod H.

JP
I would put the gas cap on sorta loose. Just to see if it made a difference. How's your battery & charging system? I've had older units that the stator would 'go to sleep' when it heated up (no AC to change to DC) to keep the 'The sparks flyin'. The other way to see, would be to see what color the spark was or if there was any. Red Not so good, Blue/white GREAT. Do you have all the original heat shields? JP

I believe I have all the heat shields there is one black one that surrounds everything and a cover over the battery.

arjr111
Hi Don, a few more things to check. Make sure no mice have built homes under your heat sheilds, (cause over-heating), your fuel line does not have any small splits or cracks that may open up when over-heating. Some of the older fuel pumps, (with metal covers) conduct more heat when the engine is over-heating. A fuel line sitting up against an over-heating engine can develop a vapor lock too. The fuel pump can be tested by removing the line after the pump, check flow turning over cold, then recheck once it has heated up and has been running poorly....Good luck...Art