Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Whats the difference

JohnA

Can anyone tell me the difference between a 7016H and a 3416H. I went to look at a Simp. for sale and the sheet metal had 7016H markings. When I checked the manufacturers # on this sites search engine the #(871-6596) says it is a 3416H. Just wondering if there is any difference? Thanks!

Hi,
The 3416H is an oldeer tractor and uses the Vickers hydro. It will have a hydro lever with a "release" handle on the lever. The 7016H will have a Sunstrand hydro and the hydro shift lever will have a little plastic knob on the top. Sounds to me as if someone just put a later model hood on it. The 3416 should have about a 3" square grid work in the grille, the hoods can interchange. Want more info, please ask. Good luck, AL

The 7000 series also used a starter/generator system until it changed to the 7100 series around 1979-80. An easy way to tell the two apart - the Vickers has a separate trans cooler on top of the trans, by the fan, under a black sheet metal housing with hoses going to it. Most likely as Al suggests, the model is a 3416 going by the MFG ID tag and someone has swithced the hoods. Maybe this is the start of "fake" tractors like the early Z-28 Camaros - more now than there were then! Oh - oh.....Dave are you sure you don't have a 725?........:)

Thanks guys! By your descriptions it sounds as if this is in fact a 3416, I do remember a cooler on top of the tranny I didn't see an oil leak but wasn't looking for one in that particular area. I may give the thing another look, but if parts are that hard to come by I'll probably pass. Thanks!!

Also if the trac. has a starter/generator that dates it as an older model. The Vickers is an excellent hydro trans. BUT parts are very hard if not impossible to get,and check at the rear of the trans. just under the seat pan for an oil leak.This is a common problem with the Vickers with a lot of hrs. on it and that job to fix is an expensive one! Good Luck ,hope this helps! dlc