Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Help with Sovereign 42" Snowthrower

Spencyg

Hi there. I'm new both to this forum and to simplicity tractors in general. I have recently purchased a mid-70's 7016 complete with 48" mowing deck, 42" snowthrower and 32" rototiller. My big problem is wit hte snowthrower at the moment. I am in the process of rebuilding the beast and have run into trouble with the mounting setup can somebody please explain to me how my mounting assembly (the metal unit with the turn around sheives) mounts under my tractor correctly? I attempted to mount it yesterday, but the only way it would go up in far enough was if I took the cotter pins out of the belt-tensioner bar and slid it to the left. I know none of this is making sense....possibly somebody could just attach an image of their snowthrower linkage installed correctly?? Thanks. Spence 197? Simplicity Sovereign 7016

There are 3 components needed for an OEM 7016H snowthrower. 1) Snowthrower, 2) Proper two pulley hitch, 3) Mechanical front PTO clutch. Since the tractor is 25 years old, it is possible some components have been lost, changed, exchanged, or modified. If your snowthrower is OEM, installation is simple. If not OEM..... ???? Here's a link to the OEM manual > http://www.simplicitytechpubs.com/6767PRINT/PDF_files/TP_100_3264_00_AT_S.pdf

Thanks for that link the the pdf. file....excellent! As it turns out, I have the proper OEM snowthrower and hitch, but no PTO assembly. This is a HUGE problem!!! Does anybody know where I can find a used PTO assembly? I'm going to need this thing working before the snow flies up here. My engine is a B&S 16hp...I assume it is the original with the tractor. I have electric start/alternator. If you guys know where I might locate the assembly I'd be in your debt. Spence 197? Simplicity Sovereign 7016

Contact the previous owner, the clutch may be laying in the garage waiting to be thrown away. Beware, the clutch for the B&S uses different components than those for the Kohler. If you can't find a mechanical clutch, there are alternatives.

The only problem with contacting the previous owner is that he has dissappeared off the face of the earth...he also owes me an idler set for my 36" rototiller...he is a @$#% and I'm not expecting to get anything from him. I am a very proficient fabricator and ran across the guy who built the center pto drive for the blower....I'll probably build one of those.... Spence 197? Simplicity Sovereign 7016

You could also: 1) Make a "Hybrid Hitch" like I designed for my Kubota snowthrower > http://www.simpletractors.com/do_it/snowthrower_hitch.htm 2) Use the long belt setup directly off the center PTO (you'd have to do some modifications to the center idler and front hitch). 3) Use a plain pulley and not have a clutch. 4) Use a pulley tensioner like the older tractors. 5) Install an electric clutch on the front of the engine.

You forgot the last option Dutch....drive a new hydraulic pump off the crankshaft, hook up a couple single spool variable flow 3 detent valves, a small reservior, and front, rear, and center supply and return disconnects...then convert all of the equipment to run off small hydraulic motors....this is the best option but also the most expensive. I might do this eventually when the 16hp engine goes byebye and I am *forced* to convert to a 20hp v twin.... Spence 197? Simplicity Sovereign 7016

Spence, The hydraulic drive is the way to go if you can get enough flow out of a small pump. I would experiment with the snow blower then do the others as you go along. Ron Thomas #3

Spence, Hydraulics is certainly a very flexible method of power transmission. I'm sure many club members would be interested in the details if you pursue that route.

I've still got all of my hydraulic design books from collage....should be able to come up with something reasonable....of course nothing hydraulic is cheap, but I think the end benefits would be will worth the effort. Spence 197? Simplicity Sovereign 7016