Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Deutz owner now also Simplicity owner

JohnA

Brent - if you had the real 38" tiller and it worked you would have made a GREAT deal - it is the EXTRA heavy duty version - but your ID shows it to be the 36" which is the more common one but thats OK too. It alone is worth the money spent and more if it is in fairly good order. The trans cooler came standard with the Vickers trans, of which yours is the last model that was made with. The problem with them is that leakage at the control shaft is common with age and needs to be repaired by disassembly and machining a bushing. (DLC - you ought to get involved in remanufacturing these!) The 16HP engine is also very nice to have. Being they are NLA it can command a higher price. All in all it sounds like you did quite well!

The tiller measurement from tyne to tyne is 36" and it works - I hitched it to the Deutz to try it. The 3416 is missing a couple of the pulleys needed for the tiller but I had them on the Deutz as I already have a tiller for it. I have found the decks to be interchangable as well. The Simplicity deck is in need of bearings but it works. It has one 2" rust hole but otherwise solid. I mowed with it on the Deutz and it worked but was loud. Sounds like I should fix the trans and go through the motor and carb. A good winter project. P.S. I am willing to part with one of my identical tillers if anyone is interested. Thanks, Brent

I bought a Sovereign 3416H with a 38" housed tiller and rusty 48" deck yesterday at an auction for $250. It would not run at the sale but got it going at home. The hydro leaks fluid from a yet to be determine source (unfortunately not a hose). I originally bought it for parts for my 916H but am now considering a restore. The ID # is 8717206 on the tractor, 990694 on the tiller - early '70's? Can anyone guide me as to the exact year and input on a mechanically restored value if I decide to do so? Also, this tractor has what looks to be newer transmission cooler. Was that standard? Thanks. Brent Baumer

Yeah, all I need to get is a line-boring machine for $25,000,give me a loan outa petty cash!I've got a nice Vickers that DOSEN'T leak at the trunion shaft or anywhere else for sale!E-mail me if interested!It does sound like you got a very good deal to me too Brent. Good luck with it! Fully restored your looking at $1000-+ possibly? dlc