Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Electrical Problems

JCS

My AC 914 started acting up and would run for awhile then shutoff. Since I always add gasoline before mowing (when stone cold) I thought maybe I got some waterly gas in it so i pulled the line and drained the tank and put som ein a cup and guess what! I wasted a tank of gas!!! NO WATER. It started up and ran for about 5 minutes (just enought to start mowing) and died again. So I got the test light out and the ignition was going dead! So I figured the switch, so I ordered a switch and went to put it in the and black plastic plug is all burned up and one contact on the old switch is all burned up and the wire end in the black plug taht goes to the amp guage was burned up! So i looked further and one of the screws on the "curcuit breaker" hickie is rusted almost completely away! What is goin on here???? I ordered an amp guage and put another end on the wire but waht about the black plug?

Sounds like you already found the problem......... Loose / Rust / Corrosion = Resistance...... Resistance = Heat......... Heat = Melt / Burn. You'll have to replace that "black plug", or install individual ends.

I agree with Dutch. If it has rust or corrosion on it, and it is electrical, then it is not a matter of if its bad, but when it will cause a problem. If you can't get a replacement for that black connector, then go to an electrical supply or a hardware store and buy some individual connectors to re-hook up the wires with. I have made multi pin connectors by connecting the individual wires with separate connectors, then making a mold around the connections with masking or duct tape, and filling this with RTV. When it is hardened you can trim the outside for looks. Rod H.