Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

CCKB ignition question

gretsch

It seems that usually when a voltage regulator goes on the fritz, the voltage drops. Does anyone on here know or have experience with the voltage increasing dramatically (up to 18-20 volts across battery poles when running at high rpm)? Can a faulty regulator cause this or is there possibly another problem? Battery is good and normal checks when engine not running are fine.

Simple answer: A malfuctioning regulator can either undercharge or overcharge. Many times regulators can be adjusted.

Butch, If the battery voltage (assuming fully charged condition) is around 13-14 volts just after removing the charger, then after a few hours/days of no use settles down to around 12.9 volts, the battery is good. With your indicated voltage across the battery (engine running), the regulator is definately the problem. The regulator tries to maintain 13.8 to 14.7 volts at the battery if it's working correctly. There are no external/accessable adjustments on these sealed/potted regulator-rectifier assemblies. The CCKB's typically have a separate module for each and were made by SYNCRO. Tom(PK)

Thanks. I knew it wasn't adjustable but I wanted to know if there were any other things that could cause the voltage to be that high. I sold my 620 a few weeks ago so I do not have a spare regulator to switch out to see if that was the problem. I guess I'll spend the money for a new one and hope for the best.

Wisconsin also used the Syncro brand of solid state charging devices on their engines. The modules and corresponding connectors were the same as the ones used on the Onan CCKB. Good Luck!

That's great info WISCONMAN! I didn't know that. Syncro devices are pricey and that opens up new possibilities for used parts. I saw a Harley stator once on ebay and it looked just like one made by Syncro. Do you know if Harley Davidson used Syncro parts? Paul

Paul Kjorlie, The Norwegian